1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

New Member!

Discussion in 'New members' started by thinktankgroup, Feb 2, 2018.

1. thinktankgroup

thinktankgroup New Member

Hello, new member looking for some guidance. We have a design worked out but I wanted to verify before I call my sheet metal guy. There has been some back and forth as to whether this will actually work or not.

The back story-

This is for a shop that already has a low ceiling at about 15' (even lower if you consider the electrical buses etc...). We need to place the duct work in the trusses in order to maintain the best headroom. These bar trusses will allow a 14” spiral duct to pass and and I am able to get a 10' piece into the web easily so installation isn't a concern.

An old timer on the job is convinced that we need to do a single 20+” duct per bay that will absolutely not fit into the truss work. This translates into a 10-11 foot high ceiling after it passes under all of the electrical buses, fire suppression, etc... He is convinced that 14" diameter is far too small. The owner is understandably not pleased with that solution.

The shop is a simple 120' X 120' square building with 3 bays that are 40'X120'. The plan is to place 3 rooftop units and serve the space with 3 'H' shaped patterns. So HHH is the layout. We have two 5000 CFM units and one 6000 CFM unit. The placement is so that 2/3rds of the building is served by the lower half of the 'H' and 1/3rd by the upper half. I hope that makes sense.

What I am hoping for is that we can do all of this with 14” duct and smaller. Obviously, the plenums will be much larger, but hopefully not when it crosses the trusses that are 80" OC. It can't sound like a jet engine but it doesn't need to be whisper quiet either. I just need as much vertical space as possible.

Our calculations show that for a 14” round duct should be fine for about 1500 CFM at a velocity of 1400 FPM. Our units put out a static pressure of 1.1.

My questions are:

Is this going to be too loud? Is there a solution we aren't thinking of? Do these calculations seem correct?

Thank you very much for any input!

2. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

If it’s too loud......

Play Heavy Metal

Zman likes this.
  3. chucko615

chucko615 Banned camp counselor

Welcome.....................I know people who know people that write novellas, but they still gave more information about what they do in this trade than you did

coldsnap and jpb2 like this.
  4. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

1400fpm? Na that will be super quiet. I size mine for 2400 fpm

jpb2 likes this.
  5. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

6. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

think-tank group meeting room...where we do our best thinking! s-6fe9c4b936fa19666d113b7733e06218dfbc919c.jpg

7. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial