1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

New torches??

Discussion in 'Tools and Test Equip' started by Pfeifer, Nov 20, 2016.

1. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

probably true, but they are nice little machines and can sometimes be found in going out of business sales and second hand. Being a UA member, I am used ot contractor supplying everything, but not all contractors are that nice. Some guys buy everything themselves. In that case, in my opinion, its better to buy a good used tool, then a cheap new one.

2. 22blood

22blood red wire nuts only

I say anything that can regulate 5 and 20 psi. Pretty simple tool

3. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

turbo torch - get the self lighting tip its extra( you will love it) - it does 99% of what I work on - then get a tiny tip for tiny close pipe and get the other tip about the size of your thumb - it will cover you for almost anything - unless you are soldering 3 inch+ copper pipe

4. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

I started out with a turbo torch when I got into commercial work. I switched to oxy-acet after living through my first txv changeout. I will admit brazing is a skill deficit of mine - only due to lack of needing to do it often enough. I'm good with copper to copper, but when you mix it up and start brazing to compressor ports or txv's, etc, I struggle. I could not get enough heat with the turbo torch. Probably user error. Maybe I rose bud tip changes that?

5. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

On the topic of dual tips they seem really scammy according to some guys I know that tried them. They chew through gas with no real benefit; even on larger pipe you're better off with a rosebud.

6. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

I've had the same experience.

7. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

reversing valves are as bad or worse than txvs

the biggest issue guys run into is being afraid to use the heat - they use small tip spend way too much time heating shiat up and fuking stuff - I use wet rags - have squirt bottle handy and a good sized tip with lots of gas flow - I solder shiat up quick with good penetration ( kids don't heat shiat up enough - them valves can take more heat than you think ) mirror check then spray with water to cool off.
    I suggest you use this tip you cant go wrong - turn up the pressure all the way on the tank valve

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTorch-0386-0819-PL-8A-Acetylene-Lighting/dp/B000NO6VWY

the top two has a pressure adjustment turn it up all the way get some heat into the copper ( you should put in ear plugs )

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...dustrial&field-keywords=turbo+torch+regulator

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  8. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak New Member

I haven't tried any of the dual tips, but I did buy a hook tip and it is pretty much useless. The biggest issue is trying not to get it against the pipe and put out the flame.

9. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Still love my Smith Little Torches and all the heads that come with the set.