1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Oil sample

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by pintofstout, Nov 6, 2017.

1. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Got oil sample results back on a Bitzer screw that have copper and iron.

Copper I'm used to seeing in an acidic system but iron? I'm assuming that's mechanical wear? Anyone able to give me guidance here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Get with Bitzer, depending on the test they can probably tell you where the iron is coming from

3. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

What is the percentage of the copper vs iron and the concentration of the acid in the oil.

4. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

how often have you tested this machine or is this the first one. its really good to have a base for comparison. how high are your levels. a simple call or email to bitzer with the results in hand they should tell you what they think. iron could be wear or residual if this is newer unit never tested befoe.

5. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

I don't remember the percentages, just that they were high.

This is the first time it's been tested. I test my screws yearly, this one isn't my baby.

The oil was just changed two months ago. The sump runs 250 and the oil looks awful. Dark and thick. I think their running too unloaded for too long.

I'm only helping out with this one from a distance, it's not in my territory but I've been asked for advise.

I will probably have to go visit the machine myself in the next couple days. Told them to add acid scavenger for now and order another round of oil.

Bitzer says 250 is ok oil temp but I'm sceptical of the high compressor temps. Discharge superheat is..... Something obnoxious i can't remember right now

The guys on site have called bitzer during this, a couple times actually. I just get the feeling there missing something that might be more apparent to me if i visit the site. It's on the annoying side of buffalo,i don't make it out there much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  6. HMD

HMD does it matter?

iron is from the cow pen, aint he?

Texas-Tech and Catpower like this.