1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Old chiller, new controller

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by otto, Aug 10, 2013.

1. otto

otto Bakery Chef

We have a customer with 3 Carrier recip chillers. 4 compressors each, 2 with unloaders for a total of 6 stages. Needed 8 relays to control staging. Took out the old control and went with Honeywell T775L and expansion module.
    P8090001.JPG P8090002.JPG P8090003.JPG P8090004.JPG P8090005.JPG P8090006.JPG P8090007.JPG P8090008.JPG P8090009.JPG P8090010.JPG

Hard part was trying to get 2 #16 stranded in the same lug. Had to come up with a different idea and powered relays that received constant power from TB1 120V.
    Should have gotten pic of old wiring diagram, it's a head scratcher for sure! Back on MOnday to wire up the other 2 chillers.

2. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Had a bit of a hard time getting to a satisfactory setting. Stayed with 48° setpoint 8 relays in the loop, 6° throttle range, 60 seconds integral. I understand kinda how the integral plays into the staging but, referencing the return (inlet) water was not responding fast enough and would open freezestat. I'll play with it more on Monday if needed.

3. Tap

Tap i hate it when a velociraptor throws poop at me

Looks like an old --HR.

4. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

Good job Otto

5. Mcool

Mcool Pipe layer

Not such easy stuff there.I sure could'nt rewire with no diagram. Well done sir. But, the most important thing.........you trash the old parts or leave them on site .?:joy:

6. Mcool

Mcool Pipe layer

Just kidding around Otto.I know you are a skilled mechanic.that dont leave any trash lol

7. otto

otto Bakery Chef

The old control is sitting next to the chiller, probably take them out when I'm done with all 3 chillers. I had a wiring diagram, I'll get a picture of that on Monday.

8. jrbenny

jrbenny Yuge member

Nice work, otto

9. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

I used to hate those step controllers, well only when they ****ed up, they worked pretty good, but electronics sure make it easier

Some of the HR's that size had 14 steps in it

10. otto

otto Bakery Chef

The first one I removed had 10 but, they were only using 8 of them.
    One of those controllers is going on the wall in my garage.

11. HMD

HMD does it matter?

dont throw out the 2nd...................

12. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I can hang onto one for the carage.

mike1020 likes this.
  13. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Here's some shots of the original diagrams. Did another chiller today and one more tomorrow.
    I am now running the two that are on the T775 controls at 47° setpoint, 5° throttle range and integral is back to the original 400 seconds.
    If someone can explain the integral adjustment in simple terms that would be great.
    P8120001.JPG P8120002.JPG P8120005.JPG P8120006.JPG

14. otto

otto Bakery Chef

So we're maintaining the 47° coming into the chillers, this is the reference, this is the way it was and this is the way it shall stay.
    When I asked why you can't reference the discharge, I was told "because that's the way it is".....still curious.
    Back to the settings: We're set 47°, compressor comes on at 48°, runs down to 46° or on a longer run, maybe turns off still at 47°.
    I guess this is the PID loop doing what it does. Not as cut & dried as a set of relays. The building engineer doesn't care about the return temp, just as long as the supply header from all 3 chillers stays between 47° and 44°. 48's too warm and 43's too cold. So far he's happy and if he's happy, I'm happy, Gino's Happy, You're all Happy we're all just a bunch of happy people. :lachen:

jpb2 likes this.
  15. Tap

Tap i hate it when a velociraptor throws poop at me

I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time but I believe its how fast or how tight your signl or relays stage. Like responce time. Should be in here.

http://www.kele.com/Catalog/22%20Th.../PDFs/T775L%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf

16. otto

otto Bakery Chef

bad link. I read the install instructions on the Honeywell T775L (that's what we installed) still not 100% clear. Found lots of info on the integral adjustment od a PID loop online this weekend but, nothing that didn't give me a brain cramp.

17. cd710f

cd710f New Member

hi! im doing one now im using t775l on the three comp hr chiller(1 and 2 comp are togather and 3 has its on circuit) in the programming will set it up for 2 loops? also 120 im using went to old step controller and it shuts power off to t775l when flow switch is open or chiller not being called for

18. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I would go single loop. If the old control had more than 4 relays, and it probably did, then you need an expansion module.

19. Dowadudda

Dowadudda Staff Member

Emerson Retail Solutions / CPC e2E controller would work very well with that, and with just a bit of homework you could actually install, program and service this control system yourself. Remote access through either land line or IP, is very easy and user friendly, very intuitve system.

20. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

And if you can do it anyone can.:D