1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Old chiller, new controller

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by otto, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Dowadudda

Dowadudda Staff Member

I resemble that remark.

2. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

I know.:D:D:D

3. crackertech

Damn I got to mow the lawn BBL.:banghead:

4. Chuck

Chuck SSP

How did you wow the lawn?

5. crackertech

Cuz I is special.:loltard:

6. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Special for sure!

7. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Well I've got an old carrier 4 comp 8 stage chiller that's gonna need a new controller. Looks like it's nearly identical in the control panel, that old step controller.

Wish you had taken a photo, I've only got a piece of diagram.

It's strange, it's a 110v control circuit but they do as much braking circuits on the common side as the hot side.

That's the controller I always use. I want to say I put the integral at 1, but honestly I have to use google every time I mess with a PID loop, I can never remember.

8. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Did it look like this guy here? Did they break the unloaders on the common side from factory? Same with safeties that go to relays....common.

I think this plant has another chiller of the same vintage but I can't find it. Maybe you can help me out a bit...
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426171828.045482.jpg

9. icy78

icy78 New Member

Otto that's great! I may be up against this soon. I also like the cpc solution. Our shop would probably go the alerton route and i am no programmer but would make sure the IT guy understood the system. Nice job.

10. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Allerton just to run one chiller, or on a building already integrated with Allerton? I've never considered using Allerton to control a stand alone machine, but I've used JACEs on built up systems. Very pricy.

I know Allerton has that integration level global controller, but I assumed it would be cost prohibitive when compared to the Honeywell. I would prefer to use Allerton, maybe I'll price one...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  11. HMD

HMD does it matter?

20# main, and a bunch of pe's, ep's, a coupla transmitters, dual input reciever controller.
    DONE!

12. Dowadudda

Dowadudda Staff Member

air is so dead these days. but it was a great control system. I loved working on pnuematics. I have not touched on in a very long time, but at one time I was a bit of a cracker jack with them.

13. Magnehelic

Magnehelic New Member

I did one of those chillers two years ago with Automated Logic. Had the tech on site explain EXACTLY what the step controller was supposed to be doing, when and how. Sat for 3 days thinkin bout it.......then did the whole thing with "and" statements........put adjustable minimum on/off timers in...........worked well so I'm told...........this was 4 compressors, four unloaders.......8 stages.

14. coolerinfrederick

coolerinfrederick New Member

we've done several of them. from what i remember there is not any time delay built into those controllers. if chiller has been off and you start it up with a good load all 4 compressors will bang on at 1 time.

15. coolerinfrederick

oh btw, i love those stackpack machines. slowly but surely they've been getting phased out :dunno:

16. coolerinfrederick

PROPORTIONAL
    IS DIRECTLY RELATED TO ITS SET POINT AND ITS DIFFERENTIAL. AN EXAMPLE WOULD BE A CHILLED WATER VALVE POSITION IS PROPORTIONAL ( OR SET TO ) DEPENDING ON HOW FAR AWAY WE ARE FROM THE SET POINT. SO IF I WAS CONTROLLING DISCHARGE AIR AT 72* WITH A 2* RANGE, AT 73* THE VALVE WOULD BE AT 50 %.

INTERGAL
    INTERGAL LOOKS AT HOW LONG (TIME) ITS AWAY FROM THE SET POINT. THE FURTHER TIME AWAY THE LARGER (FASTER) REPONSE FROM THE CONTROLLER.

DERIVATIVE
    LOOKS AT HOW QUICKLY WE ARE APPROACHING THE SET POINT. THE FASTER WE ARE APPROACHING SETPOINT THE THE SLOWER THE RESPONSE IS FROM THE CONTROLLER.

pintofstout likes this.
  17. otto

otto Bakery Chef

There is an "ON DELAY" setting
    Capture.JPG

18. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

19. otto

otto Bakery Chef

PUI?

20. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

posting under the influence. you responded to a two year old post, figured you had some baileys in your coffee this morning, lol.

otto likes this.