1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Old chiller, new controller

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by otto, Aug 10, 2013.

1. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

2. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Well, how did I wire that. That can be a lot of explaining over a chat thread. First you need to study the original wiring diagram and understand its sequence of operation. By saying "four compressors with two unloaders makes six stages" that tells me you don't fully comprehend the staging of the unit. It is actually eight stages. Using the L series of the T775 will give you a digital PID "loop". So it's not always just either on or off at setpoint but uses the setpoint as a target to stage up or down in the throttle range.

JD Lambert’s likes this.
  3. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Let's look at the original staging. When the chiller is set for 1-3-2-4 staging. Compressors 1 & 3 have unloaders.

Stage 1: #1 unloaded
    Stage 2: #1 unloaded, #3 unloaded
    Stage 3: #1 unloaded, #3 unloaded, #2 on
    Stage 4: #1 loaded, #2 off, #3 unloaded
    Stage 5: #1 loaded, #2 on, #3 unloaded
    Stage 6: #1 loaded, #2 off, #3 unloaded, #4 on
    Stage 7: #1 loaded, #2 on, #3 loaded, #4 off
    Stage 8: #1 on loaded, #2 on, #3 loaded, #4 on

The eight stages are a different combination of compressors coming on or off and loaded or unloaded. I may be mistaken on some of the sequencing there but the concept is displayed in the staging outlined above.

You need to rewire the controller relays exactly the same way the relays on the old controller are wired. Follow the original diagram and wire them as it says. This is a project for a tech that is very good with complicated diagrams. It will test your patience so don't be in a rush. You will have to fit more than one wire into a relay terminal strip so you need to use 18 gauge wire, no bigger or they won't fit into the terminal. I may have used 16 gauge stranded but it made the job more difficult.

JD Lambert’s likes this.
  4. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Looked back. I did use the original 16 gauge wire. It can be done. twist and solder the stranded wire might make it easier. Not too much solder, just enough to make the wire end rigid.

JD Lambert’s likes this.
  5. otto

otto Bakery Chef

More later if needed. Time to go to work.

6. JD Lambert’s

JD Lambert’s New Member

Thank for your help

7. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Glad to help. It will seem a bit overwhelming at first but it can be done. Those are great chillers and it's nice to see they're being repaired rather than going to the scrap heap.

JD Lambert’s likes this.
  8. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I also have pictures of the original wiring diagrams on this thread.

9. otto

otto Bakery Chef

This shows the capacity control steps, I was wrong about compressors on & off.
    See the cylinder count. 4 is unloaded, 6 is loaded.

Capacity Control.PNG

JD Lambert’s likes this.
  10. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

Otto you would make a good controls guy. It easier on the back too.

otto and JD Lambert’s like this.
  11. JD Lambert’s

JD Lambert’s New Member

Yep I get the stages of this chiller and how T775L stages up or down to keep the temperature close to what the sensor wants to be or the set points

12. JD Lambert’s

JD Lambert’s New Member

I agree with you there Otto

13. flange

bok bok bok bok bergerk!

14. HMD

HMD does it matter?

drinking thread is 2 threads below this one

otto likes this.
  15. otto

otto Bakery Chef

16. flange

not during the week these days. crazy busy right now and vacation next Saturday need to stay focused.

otto likes this.
  17. knave

knave Undeterred

Bergeerk.

18. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

19. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

[​IMG]

I pretty much abandoned cosmetics on this one, packed the wires together and figured I'd fix it later. Never did.

It's actuality a quite simple project once you hit a stride, but i had to stare at it for a little bit first. Mine had a schematic right there on the panel.

Also switched it over to 422D. Can't really get it to stage perfectly. What kinda control band did you use Otto?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk