1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Old school ways

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rather B Riding, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

I went to HVAC vocational school 84-86. Remember having to take the EPA certification test in 91 or 92 before the recovery laws went into effect. When The instructor started with who's new and who's been Doing it for over 5 years. I fell into that group of over 5 years. He told us we had to relearn this all over again because all that old school stuff is useless after the laws go in effect. That didn't sit well then and it doesn't sit well now. The old school methods I have learned from the years get used almost daily. Yeah there are things I can't, or should say won't do these days like change a Schrader core with out a no loss tool but there are things I still always use. I still grab suction lines and feel the heat of the condenser air. Check a liquid line temp with my hand. All very useful in dianostics before even getting tools out.
    The company I work for does HVAC but not refrigeration. I'm the only one with refrigeration experience so they all call me with questions. We just took on an account where we have more refrigeration calls. I've been through with a couple of the old techs and they get it. Young guys are just lost. These small self contained refrigeration units have no service ports. Young techs I have explained it several times and they still call with only partial info. Dave 57 calls me today. "I think I got one low on charge" tells me low condenser heat, warmer than normal liquid line, warmer than normal suction line, and box temp 12° above set point , compressor feels hot and the evap is clear.
    Sounds low on charge to me too Dave.

I don't think some of the old school methods are going to die. Yeah the days of blowing the charge with a tubing cutter are gone but the hand over a condenser fan is a tool. Just because R12 and 502 are gone the old school is not gone yet. Am I wrong?

2. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Are You Wrong? Only about the Part about Blowing the Charge with a tubing cutter Days are Gone!:rolleyes:

Rather B Riding likes this.
  3. knave

knave Undeterred

That's not old school only, that's just good experience talking. @Catpower has NIST certified, calibrated hands :rolleyes:
    I'm the same way. Most /r guys use the five senses very heavily.

4. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I was feeling lines today on some maintenance work. The unit was due for an inspection, replaced belts & filters. Fans sounded good, heat was right, air pattern from fans was good. Suction cold, liquid warm, gas hot. Drain clear, good to go. It was near 90 on the roof. No need getting out gauges and all that if I don't need to.

GTT, newtech, Texas-Tech and 7 others like this.
  5. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Used my sense of sound to find a few compressors this year trying to start on one leg.Loose connections,bad contactor,ect...but it got me pointed in the right direction. I just wish I had more of that 6th Sense...Common!

6. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

I'm a new and I run my hand over the condenser fan to check heat and flow, feel suction lines, and I feel and listen to liquid lines when I'm inside the house.

just the other day I had a call for condensate drain leaking. while I was in the attic I felt the liquid line and it almost burned me. I then chucked up outside and found the old r22 trane was so clogged with dirt that it was running 350psig of head. no joke, not exaggerating or bullshiting. after cleaning it dropped to 260.

GTT and Rather B Riding like this.
  7. 404eh

404eh New Member

Listening to metering. Starved or hot gas. 2 options...

mike1020 likes this.
  8. SmallChange

SmallChange This Space for Rent

Feeling the excessive heat coming out of the condenser or touching the liquid line and feel the heat
    coming off of it, check the condenser coil, if the Cond Fan motor is running you'll usually see a dirty condenser coil. a/c or heat isn't working, walk into the house usually you can smell an overheated blower motor. or worse yet you may not smell the CO but I can pick up on aldehydes coming from something not venting correctly. The hum of a compressor and or a fan motor, no need for a meter pull the disco and usually it is a cap or a wire burnt off. Hear that gurgling in the lineset, possibly non condensables. Just from seeing these things over and over for years and years gives you more facts and more of a leg up than someone who has only book learning and no experience

GTT likes this.
  9. knave

knave Undeterred

Gurgling in the condensate, plugged Scarrier secondary heat exchanger

10. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

I went to hvacr school 98-00 I never had the tube cutter reclaimer that fit in my pants pocket. I do use all my other senses and experience when working on equipment. It only makes sense to grab the lines and listen to things before making the tools earn thier keep. I guess I'm old school enough lol

GTT and Rather B Riding like this.
  11. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

old school - still using it today too . I adjusted the charge in a trane wshp - it was dripping - but not the drain pan or frozen up it was sweating suction lines - I had already wrapped all the suction lines I could get to. its run time was high and the sweat dripped off in the comp compartment - by adjusting the charge I hope Ive reduced/eliminated the sweating thus the leak

12. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

Old school...you mean like when cooling a six pack with a blast of r-12?

HMD, R/HVAC, Rather B Riding and 2 others like this.
  13. genesis

genesis Bass fishing guru

I always poured R 500 into a cup to cool my beer. Used R12 for Dr Pepper

HMD, Catpower, oroy54 and 1 other person like this.
  14. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

It's great when you tell someone you can spot a dirty condenser just by passing your arm over it like a magic trick.

15. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

I remember when R-12 was 25 cents for a 12oz can. That would be before the EPA and Ralph Nader and all the other regulations.
    This was in the early 70's when the the Unions went away in the South and moved back up north.

HMD and Rather B Riding like this.
  16. Rather B Riding

Old school like using liquid R22 for wasp spray, fan blade removal, etc. Real R11 to flush out a burnout system. Supply houses that looked shit up in catalogs and micro fish. Old school shit.

HMD and Catpower like this.
  17. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

Old school is pulling a vacuum using the intake manifold of your car.

18. Rather B Riding

It's good to hear that some of the younger techs pick up on some of this stuff. Hell I'm still picking up a few tricks from the older than me old timers. I've had a few younger techs that get it and others that don't. It's a hard business. I see some that understand the refrigeration but weak on electrical and vise versa. The way the industry keeps changing we all have to keep learning new things. Old or young.

Zman and crackertech like this.
  19. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

A Big Problem I believe is a lot of Experienced,knowledgeable,talented Techs and Teachers are, either Retired or not far from it. Somebody's needed to fill the Gap,just not enough techs on thier level yet,ready to fill in!

20. Septua

Septua New Member

I had a book years ago that included the "touch method" for analysis...
    "warm", "very warm", "hot" etc.

Nowadays I read posts by guys who are using an "iConnect" to tell them what the numbers should be...:screwy: