1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Old school ways

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rather B Riding, Aug 1, 2017.

1. knave

knave Undeterred

Now they just wait for the next update to fix the most recent round of glitches.

mike1020 likes this.
  2. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

This is perciesly what I'm talking about. We had one new hire from a residential company that did all his system analysis from an app on his phone. Enter MN and SN. Then data collected. Sad really sad. He didn't last long here. We do no residential.

3. Septua

Septua New Member

I irritate my customers asking questions on the phone, trying to diagnose the problem before I get to the job...old school. :D

Rather B Riding likes this.
  4. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

Me too!

5. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

I have found when trying to fix it before I got there I was almost always wrong. I learned to wait till I saw it.

Y7turbo, HMD, 404eh and 1 other person like this.
  6. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

And i nailed it 90% of the time :D

Zman likes this.
  7. knave

knave Undeterred

:nono:

8. Joey791

Joey791 New Member

I agree with fixing it on the way to the call, by the time your there you have ran almost every scenario possible through your head.

I started in the mid-90's, I thought it was mandatory to run your hand over every condenser fan motor, the only problem is I find that I do it all the time now, if I go to a friend's house or somewheres you have to pass by a condenser even though I'm off or eating out lol

9. Septua

Septua New Member

My mother-in-law lives one driveway down, sister-in-law two driveways down...I check mine and theirs via beer-can-cold suction line and warm liquid line. :D

10. Septua

Septua New Member

Certainly, exotic issues are not necessarily diagnosable over the phone...but with residential these days, it's usually just a matter of predetermining if the problem is "low on freon" or something electrical.

A guy called me yesterday, saying "It won't come on"...I asked, "what isn't coming on?" "The A/C." I asked, "Is the indoor thing running?" He came back with "No"...

Now, I work on this guy's system at least once a summer, sometimes more. It's a mobile home, with split system electric furnace and straight air. They've had stat wire problems in the past between the house and condenser...either weathered conductors or his Wife's rambunctious weed eating tactics. My first guess via the phone was shorted stat conductors outside and a blown control voltage fuse.

Sure enough, the fuse was blown and the stat wires absent of any insulation. I replaced a section of stat wire, replaced the fuse started the system and got an unusual sound in the air handler electrics compartment. Not sure of what was going on, I clamp amped the "red" wire and read 4 amps. There was still a short somewhere...

In hindsight the sound I heard was the blower relay chattering. Didn't measure for voltage drop, but at 4 amps, the 40VA transformer wasn't doing too many volts. From the air handler, checked the ohms of the contactor and they were considerably less than the usual 15±...

So, I guessed correctly on the short circuit but missed the specific problem.

All of which is not to suggest I'm better than you at diagnostics...your "look first, then shoot" methodology is the smart way to go. I just been doing it so long, I run on instincts and tend to shoot first, then oftentimes, have to look for the target...and most of what I see on any given day is either "low on freon" or bad capacitors. :mad:

Texas-Tech likes this.
  11. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

I find myself doing the same thing, have to force myself to slow down

knave likes this.
  12. frozensolid

We had a water leak issue every tech in the company had been there to no success. I am sure they all diagnosed it before they arrived. Customer was starting to get pissed.

Finally my son went and the effing water heater was leaking it was below the AH.

Or when I was working refer call at Gen Mills Plant. Every tech had been there. Some all day comp kept going out on internals. They replaced everything the overload in the peckerhead, contactor, finally the o6d comp. still happening.

Boss sent me told me I was the only one not there yet. So I figured let's start with the basics. First the Evaps. Found low temp powerheads on med temp system the comp was being over gassed.

You can't fix it from the Truck. Everyone of the prior techs never looked beyond the conds unit. They all knew the problem was the outdoor unit. Likely decided that before they arrived.

I learned you can't fix It till you have hands on.

Zman, knave and Texas-Tech like this.
  13. frozensolid

Everyone does it From time to time.

14. HMD

HMD does it matter?

jah......... good thing im wearing boots............. the bullshit is getting deep

newtech, frozensolid, Jon and 2 others like this.
  15. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

:D

16. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

To guess at the repair you have to firstly judge the intelligence of the party you a speaking on the other end of the line. Giggitty you guys I think that should be taught in trade school. A tech has to know when ya got a dumbass on the line. Sink the hook and then as the saying goes sell em a blue wire nut.

17. frozensolid

You mean like the guy who calls and says I was in the cooler and it just stopped working. Then when you get their and the coil is iced and there is a suspicious round ice pick sized hole in the ice? With oil driping out of it!

crackertech likes this.
  18. HMD

HMD does it matter?

ez peazy repair. gas and go!!!!!

19. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Back when I was running resi, if I was on call and somebody called me and said the a/c wasn't running, I would ask if the indoor fan was running and if they said no I asked was the outdoor unit running if they said no I would ask them if anyone had been in the attic, most of the time thye would say yes, then I would tell them to go back in the attic and turn the light switch to the furnace back on and pull the chain or string to turn off the light

Then there would be the few who would say **** no nobody has been in the attic, get your ass out here, I would them tell them it was $105 for me to show up, even if I just flick the switch on, they would say fine, so i would go and turn the switch back on and as the old man was blowing a gasket "Who in the **** was in the attic" His son or daughter (usually the daughter) would say me daddy, well you just cost me $105

After he paid me I would tell him no you cost yourself $105, I asked you and you had to be a dickhead about it

R2D2-TX and Zman like this.
  20. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Dude,you gotta move!:mrbill: