1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Old school ways

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rather B Riding, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Septua

Septua New Member

Without any desire to start a debate with any particular opinion, let's clarify what we're talking about in terms of "guessing". I chose the word because my vocabulary lacks some depth and breadth. Inference would have been a better choice of words.

Inference: A conclusion reached on the basis of evidence and reasoning.

If a tech's been running service calls for 10, 15 or 20 years he's (hopefully) learned two primary aspects of heating and cooling equipment: 1) How it works and 2) how it fails.

I'm of the opinion one never fully learns how equipment works until he's dealt with it in the field for some amount of time. All the books and classroom time rarely get a beginner to the point of being proficient on service calls, soon as he finishes reading the book or sitting through the classroom lecture. You got to get in the field, deal with failures and symptoms, before all the "information" you were taught somewhere begins to make sense.

And while you're doing all that, you begin to see and learn what the most common failures are, and the symptoms they generate. Additionally, with some brands and models, you learn what their "weak" points are. For instance, some brands of equipment uses a China company X-13 motor that is notorious for premature failures. If I get a call from someone who eventually tells me the blower motor isn't running and the equipment is that particular brand, I can make a pretty good inference as to what I'm going to find on the service call. The evidence for the inference is obvious from the HO's observations and the reasoning is a result of my experience with the particular brand of motor.

I could of course, ignore any instinctive impulses and just wait till I get to the job and take the methodical approach...and might well discover the motor's OK but the 24V signal is getting lost somewhere.

The beauty of "troubleshooting" is the absence of any rules, beyond some very basic guidelines. People, particularly the equipment owner, don't give two sh!ts how you got to a diagnosis, so long as you got there in a reasonable amount of time, and it's accurate.

If you can manage that, then whether it came by "shooting from the hip" or finding a target to shoot, it's all good...:)

2. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

:thumb:

3. GTT

GTT Wannabe on a boat on a bay with a beer, & my Babe!

On PM's, visual check, clean coils, new filters, check belts, listen to motors/compressors, and delta t, if all good, on to the next one.

Rather B Riding likes this.
  4. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

Two important questions to ask are: was it working right before ? And when was the last time it was worked on

crackertech likes this.
  5. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

...and who worked on it?:thumb:

Rather B Riding likes this.