1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Oops maybe I should have asked you guys

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Rather B Riding, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

I had a failed low pressure switch on a Trane TTA060 condenser. 2000 R 22 model. Horizontal air handler in a server room. Unit has a lot of extras on it to keep from killing the compressor one of which is a liquid solenoid. Its using the LLS and cycles on and off on the pressure switch. It failed and I asked 2 other techs. Does Trane have Schrader cores behind the switch or not. I got 1 I'm pretty sure there is and 1 I can't remember. I roll the dice because I thought there was a core. Guess what I was wrong there is no Schrader core. Lucky I had made an oh shit plan. I pumped it down to 10 psi. Valved off the condenser and everything I needed with in reach. I had that thing on so quick. I was sure there was a core till the old one was off but I was damn glad I pumped it down and had everything ready. I barely lost any juice but it could have been real bad. Who could have answered correctly core or no core.

mike1020 likes this.
  2. jays 65

jays 65 New Member

if im unsure ill recover refer. customers paying anyway not worth my hands,you can put a t on other low side port with a new low pressure switch and wire in if another ports available

jpb2 likes this.
  3. 404eh

404eh New Member

Good deal, I've seen high press switches replaced quick, pretty dangerous and stupid

4. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

They don't use them on hp switches on the package units, not sure about the lp side.

5. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

That pisses me off. There's no phucking reason they can't put a stem in those fittings.

6. Texas-Tech

I totally agree Torry, it's dangerous for the person that doesn't know

7. Bustawrench

Bustawrench Knucklehead

They don't put them under the HPS anymore because it voids the current UL/CE rules for certification.

Not sure about the LPS.

8. 404eh

404eh New Member

If u ever install one i put them in just a few threads so that a flare fitting will work.
    Buuut if it ever needs replaced a tech can just thread the stem real fast

Catpower likes this.
  9. Texas-Tech

What about OSHA, guess they can't be bothered. But get within 6 ft of the edge of a roof and whamo, gotta tie your self off. BS

doc havoc and Rather B Riding like this.
  10. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

They told us 15 feet

11. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

Nope it’s 6’

12. Chuck

Chuck SSP

I always assume one of two things will happen when I take a pressure switch off;

1. There will be no core
    2. The core will not seat because it has been depressed forever

So I always pump down to 5 psi before removing it, do it quick and gas it back up.

13. crackertech

I know a guy that use to change bad power heads that way.:D

newtech, coldsnap, Jon and 1 other person like this.
  14. Texas-Tech

You can tell as you unscrew it, after 2-3 revolutions and the pressure hasn't slowed down there is no core under it.

15. Chuck

Chuck SSP

I've never done that :cool:

16. crackertech

Me neither, I just new this crazy asshole that did, great guy but bat shit crazy.:D

17. Texas-Tech

Changed an Evap on a 25ton Aaon package, forgot both cores after we charged it I looked down and an oh shit moment for sure

mike1020 likes this.
  18. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

I would have not done this if it was HP and there may have been liquid shooting out. Made that mistake a long time ago. It was LP the line set and evap were isolated. It held at 10 psi long enough that I was sure it was just vapor. It was just a little section suction pipe between the compressor and the valve. Point was that I was ready for either case.

19. Jon

Jon Team Canada

There's another way ? :headscratch:

knave likes this.
  20. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

Because it could possibly cause an obstruction and not alert in a dangerous high pressure situation?