1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Oops maybe I should have asked you guys

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Rather B Riding, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Soon we'll have to wear a harness to climb into our service truck

2. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Every person you talk to has a different definition of what requires fall protection

3. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

We do service at some Schlumberger sites here, went to a safety orientation last week. If you have to go over 4 ft high on a 6 ft ladder you have to be tied off. If there is no where to tie off they will run a cable overhead but that too must be engineered to their exacting standards so your looking at a couple days before you can do the climb. Totally rediculous

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  4. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

:nono: What a friggen waste of time and manpower.:nono:

5. Texas-Tech

Some of these oil companies are ate up with stupid, safety is one thing but some of their rules are pretty bad. One that always got me was wearing a hardhat on a roof when changing out units, if that cable were to break you gonna need a lot more than a hat, and bird shit on your head won't hurt that much.

4x4Freak likes this.
  6. mike1020

I saw a guy from CBRE changing a belt on a rooftop unit at Sam's club and he had a hardhat on

Daryl_Dixon and Texas-Tech like this.
  7. Jon

Jon Team Canada

Safety glasses, safety vest , and safety gloves too I hope. You never know when the sky will fall

Texas-Tech likes this.
  8. mike1020

No vest or safety glasses just a hardhat

No lockout tagout either. Just a hardhat

9. Jon

Jon Team Canada

That's unacceptable . He is in violation of safety standards act. He should be severely disciplined

10. mike1020

Eh

11. Jon

Jon Team Canada

FKN eh, eh.

12. mike1020

The fine is 10,000 Canadian dollars. Or 500 American dollars if you prefer

Chuck, knave, Catpower and 1 other person like this.
  13. Jon

Jon Team Canada

:chairshot:

14. Texas-Tech

That's another great procedure that knows no common sense, hard and fast rule.
    Was working on a process chiller at the Alcoa Aluminum plant, one of the by products was a poisonous powder, can't remember is it was but there was a small pile right next to the disconnect for the chiller. They called in their cleanup crew and they sucked it up with a vacuum. I was ready to turn the unit back on so I asked the guy to hit the disconnect for me.
    He shook his head and said he couldn't do it, would have to be the electrician that turned it off. He was at lunch so I had to stand there and wait for an hour.

15. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

This over the top safety BS is going to force me into an early retirement. I'm not going to be tied off with all the PPE stand 4 foot high on a ladder. I just won't do it. One thing that's bothering me lately is several customers have changed their safety rules to wear fall protection on a scissor lift. OSHA doesn't require it but now I have to because your safety guy doesn't know.

16. Jon

Jon Team Canada

I hate wearing harness on scissor lift. Makes me feel less safe with one on.

Texas-Tech likes this.
  17. mike1020

I was working on a rooftop unit inside a factory

There was no disconnect. I was not allowed to mess with the breaker panels so one of their electricians had to turn off the breaker and put lockout tagout on it.

I got done with the unit at about 5:00, the electricians had all went home. I didn't know what panel the breaker was in.

Called the guy and asked if anyone had a key for the lockout and he said there's no lock on the breaker just a piece of tape, lol

Texas-Tech likes this.
  18. Texas-Tech

My favorite is being harnessed on a lift and have to wear a hard hat 40 ft up trying to work on an exhaust fan hanging down under the roof. It's more trouble and makes the work so much harder.

19. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

That's exactly the way I feel. I had to go to a scissor lift training class and asked why do have to wear one on a boom lift but not on a scissor. He said all work is done with in the rails. If you are harnessed and do fall over the rail it will probably tip the lift over on top of you.

20. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Seems odd,that you tend to Hit your Head more with a Hard Hat on than without. :headscratch:

Catpower likes this.