1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Pipe Wrench Thoughts

Discussion in 'Tools and Test Equip' started by Raymond Moreno Jr, Dec 20, 2017.

1. HMD

HMD does it matter?

smooth jaws wont grip pipe.
    use on flat surfaces - valves, brass fittings, specialties. things you want want to gnarl with teeth marks

2. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

At my old company the installers could put in a Boiler and leave no marks on the Round Black Iron. I asked how they did it and they just said very carefully. Some guys would paint the pipe after a Steam Install,but it would smell on the first few start ups. But it looked good.

3. Joeysmith

Joeysmith New Member

s-l225.jpg
    Don't have to be as careful with these.

Zman likes this.
  4. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

Black pipe is higher tinsel than galvanized pipe. Am I correct? Less carbons in the metal?

5. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Same stuff except one is dipped in molten zinc

6. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

Are you sure about that?

7. Catpower

Yup

8. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

Well, why black pipe in the first place? I see the gas company use black pipe and then paint it.

9. HMD

HMD does it matter?

painted to keep it from rusting.
    although there is a shellac/varnish/something udder on it. pipe wrench marks phuck it up.
    we ran some underground sch. 80. gas line
    painted and then wrapped in tape. or was it the other way around?
    both products from polyken

10. HMD

HMD does it matter?

i know i have some.
    where - i dont remember
    i think buried under other shit in the shed - unheated - you'll have to wait till may if you want an answer

11. Joeysmith

Joeysmith New Member

Cheaper. Cost money to galvanize it.

12. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

I always thought it was Code to protect all gas piping exposed to the elements. At the Gas Utility we had to prime and paint. And different Regs had different colors: Gray for 30#s and under. I think it was Red for 60#s and Green for 90#s of Pressure. But nobody seems to paint Rooftop piping. :dunno:

oroy54 likes this.
  13. HMD

HMD does it matter?

gas piping is yellow at the sub basement

14. Catpower

Actually it is a very heavy coating they put on the pipe so they can run a millivolt charge down the pipe to stop corrosion

We have a 10 and 16 inch pipeline that runs north and south through the middle of our place and last summer then had to dig it up because a "pig"the little thing they install between different products to clean all the old out before the new goes in. Any way the pig has electronics aboard that can tell a bunch of into about the pipeline, they thought there was a problem right between our place and the neighbor to the south so they dug it up

It was a false alarm, but I was surprised at how good the pipe looked like after they peeled the coating back, looked like the day it was laid, and that was about 60 years ago

oroy54 likes this.
  15. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

What I have seen is that the pipe from the gas company does have cathodic protection and all is well. However, after the meter is fair game with no protection. The paint after the meter is only for aesthetics. The customers side corrosion happens at ground level.

16. Joeysmith

Joeysmith New Member

I recently replaced the steel LPG lines feeding my house. Some of it was on top of the ground and some was buried maybe 2 inches in the ground at the most. None of it had any protective coating on it just bare black pipe. It was all in surprisingly good shape. I was talking to my lp supplier and they had replaced some new steel pipe that was only in the ground 6 months. It was full of pin holes. Come to find out they had built the house on an old feed lot. Apparently cow s*** and steel don't mix.

17. Catpower

After it gets out of the ground the corrosion is much less of a threat, the air doesn't stay wet for months at a time, the ground can

18. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Live near a Power Plant,the Gas Pressures are 600 psi! When a Relief Valve Blows,usually at 2:00am,it sounds like a Train is running through the House. I Hope their Piping is well Protected!

19. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Now you see the Gas Utes replacing the supply's around the City where all the old bare steel is deteriorating with Plastic. Supposed to last a lifetime. We'll see.

20. Joeysmith

Joeysmith New Member

I suppose if you think about it the steel has lasted a "lifetime".