1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Question About TriangleTube System

Discussion in 'Residential' started by Steven Woodcock, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Steven Woodcock

Steven Woodcock New Member

Howdy All:

Hope folks can help me suss this out.

I have a hydronic radiant heat system, all glycol-based. It's powered by a Triangletube Solo 175 boiler. I've been VERY pleased with the boiler over the last ~4.5 years, but lately I've run into a problem.

Basically the LWCO switch is triggering with "low pressure" (b 26 in Triangletube speak) error. When this first happened I check all of the feed tubes at all manifolds, checked the glycol level in the main column, everything -- no air bubbles that would normally trigger this. The gauge on the front of the box does indeed register an extremely low PSI ...between 3 and 5. The system should be working at around 12psi.

So just to be sure I plan to get a threaded gauge tomorrow to hook up to the system and verify that a second gauge is also showing extremely low pressure.

Assuming this is the case, I assume the system needs to be repressurized with some more glycol. I've posted some pictures of the boiler and the piping around it at:

http://theferretman.imgur.com/all/

The left side seems to me to be the supply....there are several places to hook up a hose, and those pipes run under the boiler to a T that splits between the feeds to the master manifolds and the loop thru the hot water tank. The expansion tank is also hanging off the bottom of these.

The right side seems to me to be the return.....the temperature gauge is mounted there on the return side after the glycol comes back from the manifolds, where I suppose you can check it easily enough.

I know loosely what to do to add glycol to the system....hook up a pump to one of the input valves and run it from a bucket of glycol. I assume that the pressure gauge (integral to the Solo and/or the one I add to another valve) will show the pressure gradually running up, and I just stop at ~12 - 15psi?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Tomorrow I'm going to get the gauge and probably another bucket of gycol (I have a little bit but it's probably only ~2 gallons). Will one more be enough?

Steven in Colorado

2. knave

knave Undeterred

What branch of engineering are you in?

3. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

This one time... at Bantcamp....

knave and chucko615 like this.
  4. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

This is a site for pros only not diy there are other sites that might help you out, Good luck fishing.

5. chucko615

chucko615 Banned camp counselor

Dammit. .....I slept in again. ....:banghead:

knave likes this.
  6. crackertech

7. chucko615

chucko615 Banned camp counselor

I'm still in bed. .....:lachen:

8. crackertech

9. ISOTHERMAL

ISOTHERMAL senior member

Should be a -------- -------- ----- that keeps the -------- up to 12#......

Chuck and mike1020 like this.
  10. Chuck

Chuck SSP

mike1020 likes this.
  11. knave

knave Undeterred

Why 100% glycol? Seems like PH issues...

jpb2 likes this.
  12. knave

knave Undeterred

I know people who know people who like to sleep in :) and love badgers in blowers.

13. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Tap likes this.
  14. knave

knave Undeterred

? Does Bob know anything about this?

15. knave

knave Undeterred

Hi Mike