1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

R22-410 conversion questions.

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by otto, Jul 30, 2010.

1. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I have a request from the upper chain of command.

Otto,

Can you research about using a 410 condenser with an existing evaporator and lines? I understand that we will not achieve the condenser's efficiency but the real question is will we be losing capacity or creating undesirable running conditions, performance, etc? So far I have not been able to find this written anywhere but I'm wondering if maybe you can dig into this a little bit. What I want to do at ******** is replace the condensing unit, TXV, drier and flush the evaporator and refrigeration lines. Ultimately, my questions is can I do this without sacrificing capacity or endangering the new condenser.

In all your spare time can you please look into this? :)

Gino

So here is the dilemma we have. A very old YORK 7.5 ton condenser is having a hard time.The fan keeps eating fan blades because the spider bracket is old, weak, rusted, welds broken and it is no longer available. This beast is 35 years old and ready for retirement.
    [​IMG]

This is attached to a VERY old McQuay air handler, a beast of a unit and we don't want to replace the evap coil. Efficiency is not a concern, scientific analysis and quantum physics will be ignored. Will it work? We will use some RX-11 flush to get as much of the mineral oil out as we can. We will replace the cage & power head on the ALCO TXV, hopefully this is feasible.

In my spare time....HA!:screwy: I have been busier than a 1-legged man in an ass kicking contest. More work tomorrow and I keep finding more work while doing the work that I don't have time to do.

Oh, I did just get a nice raise so, the work is paying off.

2. iron

iron we men are wretched things

the factory does not want you to mismatch
    but I have been changing 410a condensers and leaving the r-22 air handlers
    and just changing the ahu metering device
    been working great so far
    course I cant say what the efficiency is
    but ifin your cash strapped
    its been working so far

3. Swampfox

Swampfox red tagged

Id try it

so far Ive been successful getting away with stuff you arent supposed to do when it comes to 410a :D

seriously though, it should be fine with the right TXV and as much of the old oil out as possible

4. Okie

Okie Go Balls Deep

I would give it a try...Experiments are part of it.....
    If it doesn't work you have already got the condensing unit and a couple of steps from a total replacement anyhow......(thats the alternative that may be forced upon you anyway)
    Include in the bid maybe more than 1 TXV for experimental purposes.......
    I always like a good challenge.....:D

5. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Thanks, it's the "factory theory" and pissing matches that I want to avoid, that's why I don't spend much time "over there" any more.:banghead:

I think it will work, too. Being more commercial, we're just starting to get into the 410 now that the 22 units are getting scarce.

The money is not the factor, the size and location of the evap coil and that it's integral in the ancient air handler are the concern.

6. otto

otto Bakery Chef

The old air handler is from the 1960's when shit was built to last forever, so far it is running beautifully. If the fan bracket were available, this old condenser would also probably run for another 30 years. I just replaced the original contactor. It was arted at 40 amps but, looked like a modern day 90 amp heavy duty contactor!

7. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

It's a pump and a radiator just clean it and the lines up well and make sure the nozzle matches the pump. Not ideal by any standard but it will probably work.

8. zzonko

zzonko New Member

We did a similar application at the beginning of last summer in hot humid Florida and it is humming along with no problems. Flush, txv, filter/drier. If there are any weak spots in the evap you will know soon enough.....so tell the owner that you make no warranty on that evap due to the higher pressure, are all the lines sil-fosed?

9. otto

otto Bakery Chef

All lines are brazed and ran in ACR rigid copper. LL drier and TXV equalizer are flared.

10. dhvac

dhvac best hung member

I would give it a go, obviously use the lowest efficiency unit you can find, new txv like you already said, you will know before you leave to first day if your readings are acceptable, weak spots may show later like stated but there is no reason it shouldnt work.

11. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

Most manufacturers have a A/H conversion kit to take r-22 to 410a. Line size will not be a problem because 410a generally needs less line diam then R-22 and the higher pressures will move the oil.

If they Don't make a retro kit to 410 for that unit be sure to change the distributor nozzle (orifice) when you change the valves. 410a uses a smaller nozzle.

12. otto

otto Bakery Chef

It's a TXV system with a big, flat coil. ALCO TXV with a 2-bolt assembly. We'll be replacing the TXV cage & power head. Old, heavy duty, sturdy coil.

13. HMD

HMD does it matter?

why can't they still build stuff to last?..........

14. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Because it never breaks! This whole ozone layer global warming and new refrigerants is all part of the tri-lateral commission plot to manipulate the economy.

15. HMD

HMD does it matter?

i understand. if it didn't break they wouldn't need a factory in china to make a new one

16. DPSwitch

DPSwitch Forget the hearse....

I know in refrigeration, test pressures can be alot lower on evaporators, like 150 - 200. What is the test pressure on the average AC evap designed for r22? I don't even know. If its less that 300, I don't know that I would want to do that.

17. otto

otto Bakery Chef

This is an old coil made back when they made things tough and made to last.
    Probably some pretty thick copper in the tubes. We're going full sped ahead with a caveat about the coil. I'm quite sure it won't be a problem. Thanks for the inputs and I'll be sure to post pics and let y'all know how it goes.

18. DPSwitch

DPSwitch Forget the hearse....

in that case it wouldnt bother me a bit...

19. Okie

Okie Go Balls Deep

It may be more than that.....throw out tried and trued for some bullshit.....
    I don't understand.......:headscratch:

20. otto

otto Bakery Chef

the tri-lateral commission reference was a poor attempt at paranoid humor.
    Now that the TLC has been mentioned three times in one thread we're being watched.
    Get your aluminum foil caps on!