1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

R410a erodes copper?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by icy78, Aug 2, 2016.

1. icy78

icy78 New Member

So I've been hearing that another company has been telling people that 410A will eat the copper away inside an evaporator if it is a copper coil. Is this common knowledge that I simply didn't know, or is this a bunch of BS

2. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

bs-meter.jpg

3. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

I am with pecmsg. But cracker eats grits.

4. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

So do you

5. icy78

icy78 New Member

Yeah my sentiments too. This manufacturer had an issue a few years back where it was rumored they used r22 condenser coils for r410a application. I know they wore out in 7-8 years but dunno. In our case they said it was not enough loop capacity resulting in too frequent cycling, thus too much expansion and contraction of the condenser coil. Hmmm.

6. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Refrigerant is not water. It doesn't wear things down from inside out.
    Evaporators develop leaks from the outside in!

22blood, jrbenny and Jay 41 like this.
  7. icy78

icy78 New Member

Not saying that I agree with the assertion that r410a wears coils out from the inside. I thought it was interesting and I was incredulous so posted it.

8. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Well what do you think happens when the corners get worn off the BTU's as they are circulated through the system???????

I actually had an older lady tell that one time because I didn't replace her refrigerant on a spring check, she told me he old a/c guy did it every spring and she believed him

Then she told me he died, and sure wished he was still alive so she could ask him, and it didn't help any when i told her he probably went to hell for just that lie:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

jasin1890, Texas-Tech, icy78 and 2 others like this.
  9. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

While I agree with Paul to a point. Being 410, 22, 12, 134 will eat a copper pipe from the inside to failure. The reason is the chemical make up of the freezone being a hydrofluorocarbon for short.
    While this mixture may say it is free of any ppm H20, that is fine, and after a good evacuation is fine also. No perfect vacuums.
    If the refrigerant stays constantly in solution, it will not fall out of solution. Like my Snow Man. I use no drier on it.
    However in the real world systems cycle.
    When the freezezone stops moving, and meets it's dew point, the hydro and the floro and the H2O will fall out of solution forming Hydrofloric acid in the bottom of the evap.
    We did not have the problem in the 60's.

10. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

How can I explain it?
    Rub steel to copper the copper will wear!
    Run oil and "refrigerant" thru copper nothing will happen?
    :beer:

11. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

sounds like bull$hit to me

Jay 41 likes this.
  12. icy78

icy78 New Member

2 year old system. I say it's chemicals in the air from the factory processes, concentrated in the condensate and pitting the bottom condenser pass. Haven't seen it but I'll bet it's that.

13. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

We can't do anything about anything so it's money in our pocket.

14. icy78

icy78 New Member

Whoops. I ment to say the bottom evaporator pass.

15. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Carrier put out a white paper (what the **** that means I have no idea, shit I put out white papers too) but anyway they claim it is all the formic acid in the air from chemicals used in homes now days

I thought formic acid was from wasps ants bees etc

16. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

Wasn't that the Chinese drywall fiasco?

17. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

I believe its called formicary corrosion

Attached Files:

jrbenny likes this.
  18. knave

knave Undeterred

Yeah, well, I don't buy it. We use lots of chemicals and my evaporator coil is from the 80s and not leaking. Now if they want to talk about a reaction between aluminum and copper then I am on board, also copper that has tin flakes I am still on board

oroy54 likes this.
  19. lytning

lytning I'm not old, I just woke up this way

Did you expect Carrier to say that it was there fault.

knave and Catpower like this.
  20. Bender

Bender Regional Technical Beer Drinker

Nope...they still haven't taken accountability for their heat exchanger debacle...

Carrier is the worst manufacturer in the world...

Their equipment is substandard at best, and their business practices are even worse...

Just try and get a secondary heat exchanger warrantied these days...

:beer:

LemonWizard likes this.