1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Ranco ETC-211000 'E2' code

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Hot Gas, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Hot Gas

Hot Gas Woof! Woof!

So we have this controller showing this 'E2' code. The controller's paperwork says it is a "memory error", and that "the control settings are not properly stored in memory"... "To correct: Check all settings and correct if necessary."

There are other codes that the paperwork says to replace the control, but not this particular code.

I have done everything I can think of short of replacing the control, which I don't really want to do if I don't have to. The thermister is good, and any new settings for set point and differential do not want to be saved.

Where is the magic reset button... or did this thing let the smoke out when I wasn't whatching?

2. Tap

Tap i hate it when a velociraptor throws poop at me

If you take the four screws out and look inside the cover there's a little black switch flip it and she will work. If I remember right.

3. Chuck

Chuck The Other Dude

I just had this happen on one a week ago. Nothing I tried would get rid of it. Also couldn't set it to the right temp, it would go back to 198°.

Replaced the control.

4. Iraqveteran

Iraqveteran Zija Independent Distributor

E2 Error code.

Replace the controller. Don't even mess with it anymore. You may get lucky with a power hard reset, but it will only fail again in short order.

5. Iraqveteran

The dip switch is to unlock or lock the settings. Has nothing to do with the memory of the controller itself. All it does is lock the front buttons so the consumer does not have the ability to change the temperature setpoints and differentials.

6. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Replace it with an A419

knave and cold in ab like this.
  7. Hot Gas

Hot Gas Woof! Woof!

Chuck, I experienced the identical problem.

8. ISOTHERMAL

ISOTHERMAL senior member

They must have sent out an electronic signal to cause these things to fail.
    I have one, same code, the differential keeps going to 60*.
    I have a replacement out in the van

9. Hot Gas

Hot Gas Woof! Woof!

Thank you. That was my gut feeling.

10. Hot Gas

Hot Gas Woof! Woof!

Johnson Controls' identical version. Have always used the Rancos. Other than the paint and brand, is there a difference? Even the prices of these things are similar.

11. Hot Gas

Hot Gas Woof! Woof!

Gubment testing things I reckon, whatching us scatter.

I have a 24v version, but not the 120v for this application... Go figger.

12. ISOTHERMAL

ISOTHERMAL senior member

lol, never have the right parts, do we?

13. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

I always do.:D

14. HMD

HMD does it matter?

replace it with a T87

15. Hot Gas

Hot Gas Woof! Woof!

:lachen::lachen: :lachen:

16. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Seen a bunch of the Ranco controls fail, not the Johnson, they stand the test of time and we only get the Ranco if a customer insists.

17. Hot Gas

Hot Gas Woof! Woof!

Well Otto, now is the perfect time to one of those a shot. I'll give it a go! :thumb:

18. Iraqveteran

The Johnson Controls model is NOT compatible with the Ranco temp probe assembly. Or at least it wasn't last time I tried to make it work.

And if you work on some the same units I do.....its a complete bitch, nearly impossible to run a new temp probe and secure it in place. With the Ranco, all you do is switch out the controller...no need to run a new temp probe if its still perfectly operational.

With that being said, I am much more a fan of JC controls than Ranco. I carry one Ranco just for those specific units. But everywhere else, I go JC when given the opportunity.

19. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Yeah, if replacing the probe is a PITA then get another Ranco. Most likely the Ranco will last a good, long time. It's just my personal experience that I have seen more Ranco fail than JC. Then again, I don't do a whole lot of refrigetation and that's where I do see the Ranco, when I see them.

20. Hot Gas

Hot Gas Woof! Woof!

Noted. I figured the probes would be different. This particular application will be a breeze to swap the probes. Going with the JC controller.