1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Reciprocating Compressors

Discussion in 'Residential' started by kena, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Septua

Septua New Member

Back to the compressors...you don't see many recips on new equipment these days. Most everything is scroll. I do remember a time when some of the smaller tonnage equipment (like 2 ton) would have recip compressors.

Whether the tonnage is 2 or 4, a recip connected to a TXV'd coil would need a hard start...did you notice if the 2.5 ton condensers had scrolls?

knave likes this.
  2. Septua

Septua New Member

Are the air handlers also Guardian contractor grade? Same as scroll compressors, you don't (least I don't) see many low voltage systems in air handler equipment without a 3 or 5 amp fuse somewhere to protect the transformer and/or electronics. And anytime I find a smoked xfmr without protection, I add one.

You can also buy little 3 amp circuit breakers for temporary use while searching for the circuit fault...;)

LemonWizard likes this.
  3. kena

kena New Member

These are First Company air handlers and don't have a 3 amp fuse like you'd normally see. To bad, would have saved me $400.

We have another job starting next week that the equipment was already picked out and ordered before I came on board. Same air handlers, but with York condensers. I do plan on adding an in-line fuse to the air handlers. I personally think they should have some kind of over current protection.

4. kena

kena New Member

To be perfectly honest, I didn't check. Based on the fact they're running fine, I'm guessing they are scrolls. One of them has a pretty long line set run and it still starts with no problems at all.

5. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

Bet you learned your lesson now, carry some fuses and fuse blocks for your xfmrs. Or carry a resetable one purely for testing at a minimum.

Zman likes this.
  6. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

When you smoke an Xformer, it is best to find the short before you replace it

LemonWizard and knave like this.
  7. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Yep good old bottom of the line BS

Hell even the Carrier builder models had the safeties

8. Septua

Septua New Member

Absolutely...if I go on any equipment for any reason and discover no overcurrent protection I install a fuse. And just use a couple of 1/4" insulated female connectors to hold the fuse.

Joeysmith and Texas-Tech like this.
  9. knave

knave Undeterred

Ken, it's quite rare to see an engineer come to the dark side and do service. So hats off, and kudos to you.

Im still finding out, in unfamiliar settings (which for me is commercial) it pays to slow down and really pay attention.

Be very precise, take down model/serial numbers, Amps, voltages, check rla, low AND hi side pressures etc and the problems show themselves. Big taped together mess of pipe insulation? Rip it off, there might be a CRO in there.

With transformers burning up you got your experience now. Learn and move on. It's probably not the equipments fault other than missing the control fuse.

Glad you got them up and running.

10. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

The Rheem condenser they call the "cube" has a recip, seems they put them in all the low end units. York used Bristol recips in all their package units a few years back but they all had fixed metering devices so they had no issues.
    Any unit and I mean any unit I work on that doesn't have a fused low voltage ckt gets one right then and there. So much easier to replace a fuse than a transformer, contactor coils fail all the time.
    I replaced 4 fan centers on a furnace back in the 90s because everytime I powered it up the 40 va burnt up. I wasn't experienced enough to know why it was happening so I kept replacing it. Well dumb ass me finally went and checked the stat, it was a cheapo and was set on cool, duhh
    replaced the contactor in the condenser.

Zman likes this.
  11. knave

knave Undeterred

I mean, wholesaler recommends/ adds in the package.

12. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

txv=hardstart. everytime.
    hell i put them on everything i touch. the 5-2-1 kits do the job nicely.

might look into fuse links. save big $$$ on xformers

13. kena

kena New Member

Being a white collar worker my whole career it took a while for guys in the blue collar world to take me serious. But was never one of those white collar guys who looked down on the blue collar guy. I just love to learn new things and do my best at whatever I do. I actually enjoy the blue collar work more. I'm still learning and hope to continue to I retire. I ran my own HVAC business but got a great offer to work for a company that needed an HVAC group and a manager. I enjoy the job and the work. This forum has really taught me allot and I refer to it every time I get stuck. I appreciate all of the feedback, and often can't wait to get to the job the next day to try some of the suggestions I get here.

jpb2, Texas-Tech and knave like this.
  14. Chuck

Chuck The Other Dude

I don't think there is any way a bad compressor can cause the transformer to fail. Has to be another problem, like a shorted contactor coil.

jpb2 likes this.