1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Recovery Machines

Discussion in 'Tools and Test Equip' started by Bustawrench, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Bustawrench

Bustawrench Knucklehead

My g5 is getting pretty worn out after ten years of abuse. Im thinking of replacing it.

Is there anything better out there or should i just get another g5?

I was looking at the infinicon, they claim its better than the appion for 410a use. I wonder if there's any truth to that?

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak New Member

I have the older version of the Inficon. It's about 8 years old and the only issue it's had was leaking seals on the valve manifold. The recovery speed isn't too bad, but not as fast as the G5. It's probably actually faster than the G5 on 410 because it doesn't build tank pressure as fast.

I don't have any experience with the new model, but it looks like a decent machine on paper anyway. It is 6 lbs heavier than the G5 and less compact. It is rated for pumping 410 at 104 deg where the G5 is not. The other ratings are about the same except for straight liquid, which is a lot less than the G5.

The G5 is more appealing to me just because of it's size and weight. I don't have a lot of free space in my truck, so any little bit makes a difference. It also pulls 410 at high temps just fine as long as I keep the tank cool. If you don't cool the tank it will take a lot longer with any refrigerant. I also use a tee on the machine with two hoses to the tank, which helps with flow and pressure at the machine. But I wouldn't have an issue trying the Inficon based on past experience.

3. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Here's the best recovery machine

[​IMG]

4. Bustawrench

Bustawrench Knucklehead

And that's exactly what I used, prior to June 1992.

Catpower and lytning like this.
  5. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

I'd stick with a G5

knave likes this.
  6. Bustawrench

Bustawrench Knucklehead

My only complaint with the g5 is how fast it heats the tanks up on 410a. The newer inficon has a micro channel coil that supposedly does a better job on a hot roof. But, maybe it's just marketing BS.

I'd be willing to trade size and weight for a little less dicking around with the tanks, etc.

7. Texas-Tech

I use a coiled up 3/8 tube in a bucket if water to subcool it first

Catpower likes this.
  8. Texas-Tech

You just need access to water to c/o what's in the bucket when it heats up

9. Bustawrench

Bustawrench Knucklehead

I used to do that until the safety nazi at DuPont busted me for it. Not UL Listed or some such bull shit.

Went out and got me one of those UL listed CPS deals. It works ok, until you're on a square mile of roof with no hose bib and no ice. Lol.

Y7turbo and mike1020 like this.
  10. Texas-Tech

That is a problem for sure, stores I used to service had 2 bibs on every roof. Not so much now

11. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

That's what I miss about working at McDonald's. Every restaurant had a hose bib on the roof and had power outlets all over as well.

Very rare to find hose bibs on roofs anywhere else and power outlets are also hard to come by.

Texas-Tech likes this.
  12. Texas-Tech

I don't understand how the peeps expect one to maintain their equip without access to water

mike1020 likes this.
  13. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

I had a water cooled condenser from an old unit that I could hook my recovery machine to. It even had the water regulating valve hooked on to conserve water, lol

14. knave

knave Undeterred

We have a big ice machine in our shop with free ice. Ice can work good if you can get it.

15. HMD

HMD does it matter?

i dont understand how the peeps expect one to maintain their equip by putting on the phuckin roof

Jon, mike1020 and knave like this.
  16. knave

knave Undeterred

You have to deal with much 410?
    At my new job we don't see it much.

17. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Rooftops all come with 410 but doubt it's used in refer

18. Bustawrench

Bustawrench Knucklehead

They neither know nor care.

19. mike1020