1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Rectangular ductwork hung vertically

Discussion in 'Residential' started by kena, Sep 13, 2017.

1. kena

kena New Member

Has anyone ever seen 8"x24" rectangular ductwork hung vertically with supply takeoffs perpendicular along the 8" top? Air will follow the path of least resistance. How in the world with 24" x 8" for air to flow will it actually manage to flow through a 4" takeoff that is vertical to the air path?

2. HMD

HMD does it matter?

yep.
    had to squeeze a supply and transfer duct between walla walla and bldg beams.
    i forget what sizes. 28x10? with 10'' takeoffs, i think

3. kena

kena New Member

Wierd... but I'm dealing with 4" takeoffs. And since their perpendicular to the airflow, I would almost think the takeoff should be in line with the airflow, and then 90 off to a perpendicular position. I'm finding it hard to believe I'll get good air flow from those vertical takeoffs. I think most of the air will go right past them.

4. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

4" ain't $hit!

Texas-Tech likes this.
  5. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Try angle takeoffs.

6. HMD

HMD does it matter?

whaddya call them things.............. diverters?

7. MOFO the psychic gorilla

MOFO the psychic gorilla sitting on two achers

What's the big whoop?
    Either 4" is enough or too small.

8. MOFO the psychic gorilla

MOFO the psychic gorilla sitting on two achers

HETO works real good

knave likes this.
  9. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

static pressure is a wonderful thing. it exerts pressure on all sides of a duct, regardless of how it is hung. I like to recommend you consider a duct as a balloon with holes in it and a fan blowing into the end where your lips would go. continue to blow into the end, the holes will release air at a given rate. with enough holes the balloon wont fully inflate.
    at any rate, your air will come out the 4 inch holes. it may come out better using laterals, turning vanes or scoops, but it will come out because your duct is pressurized.

http://www.rses.org/assets/rses_journal/1114_Static.pdf

otto, LemonWizard, Zman and 5 others like this.
  10. kena

kena New Member

I'm gonna go with diverters to help give me good air flow through the supplies. What would be your recommendation for static pressure from the return to supply?

11. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

Look at the blower performance chart of the machine and design from there. Make sure and allow for the filter and a wet coil

12. Septua

Septua New Member

I'm not visualizing what you're saying, but the trunk static pressure is the force that's supposed to move the air into the takeoff/run-out...admittedly, duct geometry/configuration can be less than ideal for optimum duct performance. At the end of the day, it's available static pressure and static losses that determine residential duct system performance. You need a copy of Manual D if you don't have one...;)

13. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Flange beat me to it

Ken if you get a nail in the sidewall of your tire does the air leak out any slower then if it was in the tread?

otto and crackertech like this.
  14. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

Ductwork is so overlooked in this trade and the problem with a system in some cases. Learn the basics and use a ductalator. If the duct is sized properly and static pressure is maintained it doesn't matter where the take off is. Just remember never in the last 18" of the trunk line. 4" runs??? That's very little air.

jpb2 likes this.
  15. newtech

newtech 636

Are you using a high velocity ahu!!!! like this http://spacepak.com/consumer-central-air/small-duct-high-velocity-central-air.asp

On these you can go down to 2 inch duct. Have seen many in homes with base board heat.

Rather B Riding likes this.
  16. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

For our building controls we measure static pressure 2/3rds of the way down the duct. We measure pressure inside the duct compared to pressure outside the duct. If using a fixed setpoint its between 1 and 1.5 depending on what the balancers needs to meet flow requirements.

17. Rather B Riding

Have you ever worked on these? They are a pain in the ass. They do work although they use a freeze stat to kill the condenser and the airflow is louder than they claim.

18. newtech

newtech 636

Yep, Yep, Yep and Yep!!! But they do work!!!

knave and Rather B Riding like this.
  19. Rather B Riding

Most suppliers that sell ductwork will carry these. It's a must have while laying out ductwork. Like I said 4" is not moving much air. At residential static pressure (.1) 4" delivers less than 40 cfm. You can check the actual SP. with a magnehelic manometer or a Dwyers slope gauge. You can figure approximate SP just by tonage 400 cfm per ton and duct size. Vertical or horizontal doesn't matter. In light commercial you should know how to properly size and run duct work. I have cleaned up some major f..... Up ductwork. IMG_20170914_181219214.jpg

20. knave

knave Undeterred

You're talking about friction loss per 100 ft right? Don't forget there's a crackomatic filtrete with a .3" pressure drop and all the basement registers are shut tight.

jpb2 likes this.