1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Replacing TXVs

Discussion in 'Refrigeration' started by Rather B Riding, Oct 4, 2017.

1. iceout70

iceout70 New Member

I have put cool gell, wrapped them in a wet rag at the same time, then spray fire ice shield on different components that I don't want to burn (be shure you don't spray the joint you are going to braze) and with oxy acetylene. If you spend a couple bucks you can get a variety of tips for an oxy acetylene setup that can get you into some tight spots. Doing this I have been able to braze up all my joints. If I have a hard time and think I have put to much heat I will stop in a heart beat cool it off and have a 5 gallon bucket half full with water or more with plenty of rags. I will change rags or rewet as needed. People have gotten on my case for burning things in the unit other than what I was there for. Now I make it a point to not only braze in the expansion valve but I will rap stuff in rags to burn less stuff other than the expansion valve. Hope this helps.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2. iceout70

iceout70 New Member

PS I have yet to have a failed expansion valve.

3. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

Then you ain't looking or ya doing new start up all the time. Heads fail, saets wear out on older units and don't forget about that magical mystery oil Copeland had a few years ago.

4. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

Then you ain't looking or ya doing new start up all the time. Heads fail, saets wear out on older units and don't forget about that magical mystery oil Copeland had a few years ago.

5. 404eh

404eh New Member

Cessna had ashtrays for the pilots and a window you could crack.
    Nothing like smoking and flying a plane

6. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Every instructor I had were chain smokers, guess it comes from that first student landing before they sign you off for your solo

I remember my first solo, everything was cool until I realized I was the only one in the cabin and I had to land it

And I really remember my first total instrument landing, glide slope and locator perfect, outer marked perfect, middle marker perfect inner marker perfect still couldn't see the RAIL, tower **** this, I am going around.

My balls grew the next time (I was running a little low on fuel) and I did it perfect, but wanted to kiss the ground when I got out of the Skychicken

After that they were a snap

404eh likes this.
  7. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

:bs:

8. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Must be using Danfoss valves exclusively. A Danfoss rep told me their failure rate is one in ten million.

Catpower and Zman like this.
  9. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

More like 999,999,999 to one

mike1020 and Catpower like this.
  10. knave

knave Undeterred

I think he meant, he hadn’t caused a failure from overheating while brazing.

11. iceout70

iceout70 New Member

That's right.

12. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

Wrap a rag around anything you don't want heated, keep the rag wet and work quickly. Why bother with anything more than that? :dunno:

As for the bewbies a few pages back. Wrap a rubber around anything you don't want itching, keep the rubber wet and work quickly. Why bother with anything more than that? :dunno:

doc havoc, Zman and crackertech like this.
  13. Joeysmith

Joeysmith New Member

Spit on it hit it and forget it

14. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

The votes are in TXVs are like SEX. Just wrap it and lay the heat to her.

15. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

Rather B Riding and doc havoc like this.
  16. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

Don’t forget to add some solder at the end when it’s hot enough :D

Rather B Riding likes this.
  17. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

Control the heat while you add more rod. Cool her down with some water when finished. She may smoke a little at this point but it's ok. Just let her smoke till she cools off.:cool:

crackertech likes this.
  18. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

This conversation gives new meaning to the phrase 'cherry red'.

19. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Purge with kindness,Hope for a callback,as long as the Boss don't find out!

Rather B Riding likes this.
  20. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

The Dirty Ole Man effect has come to this thread. Its a Primal thing. :)