1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Required New Member Post.

Discussion in 'New members' started by David DeBord, Oct 8, 2017.

1. David DeBord

David DeBord New Member

Greetings Ya'll,

I Found this group, while trying to find a Wiring schematic for an Ancient Carrier Split, Md. # 38CKCO48370.

I'm not happy withe the way replacing the Condensor Fan Motor, Dual Capacitor, & Contactor went.

The Replacement Condenser Fan motor is a "Mars" 10728, which Corken Steel, in Cinti., Ohio (Milford), said would replace the existing "G.E., 1/4hp, 208/230V./ 1.4 A./ RPM 1100/ CCW Rot.

The Motor that they sent is 25 rpm Shy (1075), which I'm thinking is not going to cause Tremendous Problems on this 15 Year old Carrier Unit that My Customer wold like to keep going till next Spring, & then Replace it.

The Problem that I'm Wrestling with, (& I've never set a gauge, nor tool, on this unit, because the Mother, now Dead, who I initially began doing work for 20 years ago, didn't want it.), is that after the Install, the Data plate RLA is 1 Amp shy & "some change" >>> Data 23.9A, vs, 22.6A.

Voltage Supply is 230, with no drop across the Supply/ Load of the Contactor.

Rotation of the New Cond. Fan has been verified as to the Old Fan.

Ambient Temp was 82 Degrees, as was the home. Supply Air at 1st Register is 61 Degrees F., with R/A at 82 degrees F., (After 15 minutes Op.), & 64 degrees at last register with same R/A with distance between Reg. #1 & Last Reg. approx 35 ft. I have a Damn near "Perfect Temperature Drop" with a 15 year Old, "Improperly Installed" Carrier Split A.C.

What is "Brain Trashing Me", is that I have 128 degree Condenser Air Discharge (Via Lazer), & 365 PSI Head.

Something, be it what I've done in replacing the Fan, Dual Cap, & Burnt Contactor, ... Ias Wrong.

Problem is, I'm wracking my brain, to figure out "if" it's related to the Original Install, which was Screwed up >>> No listed pad & out of level by 1/2", Disconnect is at 12" above Grade, & not fused, Unit is not listed for Modular Home Use, Line-set goes underground, in order to penetrate Home Foundation (WTH?!?), & I'm suspecting that a Proper Evac/ Pump Down, was not performed Judging by the Work-manship exhibited.

I'm finding it HARD, to wrestle with the possibility that this Unit has been Supplying Satisfactory Cooling, for the home, over 15 years, at a Head Pressure of 365, at ambient of, as well as a "Load" of 82 degrees, ... With No Problems.

On the "other side of the Coin", I'm Beating the crap out of myself trying to figure out what I did, that could possibly have caused this. I Told the Daughter of "My Original Customer", everything, & she said "Wrap it up, Figure it out, I'm Happy, Let me know what's going on.", & She paid me.

I'm not a DIYer, & I've been doing HVAC/ Electrical/ Refrigeration/ Restaurant Equip. since 1982, & at this moment, .... I'd Seriously Appreciate any Advice.

2. coldsnap

coldsnap -20 on the money

Since you've been in the trade so long, what would you do to a unit with high head pressure and condenser discharge air?

3. 404eh

404eh New Member

I think wiring a condenser fan motor should be pretty straight forward if you've done this 35 years.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  4. 404eh

404eh New Member

410a kinda makes sense...
    Even though you stated you never
    "hooked up a gauge cause your mom won't let you"

5. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

I like to spin the condenser fan motor with blade attached and pretend it will hover slowly to the ground...from five stories up.

404eh likes this.
  6. chucko615

chucko615 Banned camp counselor

David, here's my advice to you, since you are making your "required new member post". Please introduce yourself and tell us what you do in this trade.

7. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

And this is advice you need to take seriously

jpb2 likes this.
  8. crackertech

Unless you would like to see the fall colors of bant camp.:D

9. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Is the condenser dirty?

10. R2D2-TX

R2D2-TX New Member

It has to be!!!

11. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

ooh, I know, I know

knave likes this.
  12. knave

knave Undeterred

It is a Carrier maybe it’s already Puron

mike1020 likes this.
  13. R2D2-TX

R2D2-TX New Member

Something fishy going on here!.. he talks in John Roberts terms.. not tech lingo... like Ironsides Raymond Burr would say..”isn’t it true you are pretending to be an HVAC technician”?

ISOTHERMAL and crackertech like this.
  14. crackertech

Damn you is ooold :stick::D

15. R2D2-TX

R2D2-TX New Member

Classic crusty..✌️

16. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

230 volt in a residential setting?

17. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

if your a 35 year tech you need to drag up and get a job at Wal-Mart because you have lost it.

This is simple shit. Not rocket science. He's how ya run that call.

Step 1. Pull the fan motor and capacitor. Wash the coil.

Step 2. Put a 1/3 hp reversible fan motor on and new dual run cap.

Step 3. Check proper rotation and adjust if needed

Step 4. Check filters, check the charge and adjust as needed.

Step 5. Make out the bill.

R2D2-TX and jpb2 like this.
  18. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Debord-Bebord.

19. Jim54

Jim54 New Member

What was the problem, again? I nodded off trying to get through the post.

20. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

temp via lazer lol

dude simple stuff whats the refrigerant in the system - hint its on the unit label

and what jamesbrough said lol this is 2nd yr apprentice stuff
    and how do you think you get operating pressures with out putting gauges on it. put the gauges on it and find out the suction/discharge operating pressures, whats the liquid line temp?

lastly - always got up 1 size when using a generic fan motor instead of an oem motor match the amps not the hp