1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Secret Shrader!

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Zman, Aug 23, 2017.

1. bknyc

bknyc New Member

I had one just spitting out, i had to quickly put the cap on before i set off any smoke alarms. My manager just told me to pop on a swivel tee and leak check it, which i did. Put my gauges on the tee and made sure i was reading pressure out of the new port and it was all good.

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  2. Chuck

Chuck The Other Dude

What is it that leaks on them, the threads? I haven't found one spraying yet.

If you're talking about the schrader core inside leaking, just put a good cap on, unless it is spraying out a lot. Schrader cores were never meant to be a completely leak proof seal, that is the job of the cap, the core is just there to hold the gas back reasonably well until you can put your hose on.

Although I do hate them, especially on larger systems where I want to pull a fast vacuum and cannot remove the core.

3. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

Not true the cap is only there to keep crap out dirt ect, not the Freon in.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Zman and ISOTHERMAL like this.
  4. knave

knave Undeterred

That’s pretty much all that the plastic ones do.

5. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

I've seen those things. Never knew what the hell they were. Maybe on newer Lennox? Can't remember...

6. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

I was taught brass flare caps seal and dust cover and that plastic ones are just a dust cover.

That being said, I've seen a plastic cap with an oring and leak lock keep a leak at bay for years.

7. knave

knave Undeterred

There’s many pages of argumentation on the subject, at 3channelsdotcom.

8. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

yes there is

9. bknyc

bknyc New Member

The suction line was full of oil and the cap was in, maybe someone loosened it idk. As soon as i took the cap off it started spitting. And gas pressures were low. I put my core removal tool and tried to play with it until i realized its the threaded looking one that i can never take out. I tried getting my needle nose in there thinking i could get a turn in and it just made it worse.

Ever had to braze something and you see those pins in? Last time i wrapped the port in wet rags and softly touched up a crack a few inches from it. Thankfully nothing melted or leaked through the pin when i was done.

10. Chuck

Chuck The Other Dude

Not true :D I guess we'll have to disagree on this one

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  11. Jon

Jon Team Canada

:lock: :lachen:

Chuck likes this.
  12. Chuck

Chuck The Other Dude

On second thought, maybe one shouldn't argue with the mods :eek: