1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Some refrigeration help please?

Discussion in 'Refrigeration' started by doc havoc, Sep 18, 2017.

1. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

I've been tasked with aquiring and installing a walk in cooler for our brewing program. We get to do it as a class project. However, I have a question. There won't really be any long term storage. The instructor basically wants a walk in cooler to have his students change out barrels in a walk in cooler. However, it will be used for long term storage occasionally. It needs to have a remote condenser. He wants to be able to have 4 barrels in there, so I was thinking a 6' X 8' box. My question is, how should I size the reefer? Should I base it on 16 hrs run time per day, at a 20 degree evap? Should it be significantly oversized so he can cool it down quickly for the short periods of time it will be used? Size it accordingly and let him know it will take 24 hrs to bring product down to temp once cabinet is brought down to temp? I ran some quick numbers for a 6x8 box and came up with about 5500 btuh. Sound close?

mike1020 likes this.
  2. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Wouldn't the Walk In manufacturer's application Engineers size the equipment for you? I would think Yes in this case.

3. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

if you really want to size it yourself, there are forulas in the back of old united refrigeration catalogs. these account for ambient conditions, occupancy, how often you open and close the door, and if you are trying to pull down warm product or not. these days, the box manufacturer or rep will do it for you.
    we are just starting one now, its 62 feet by 90 feet, 16 high. its only 4- 8hp systems.

4. doc havoc

Likely. However, I was told to find used if possible. Personally, I think the brewing program will be fairly short lived and I don't think they want to dump a bunch of $ into something that may not be around much longer. Just my opinion, but enrollment numbers have dropped sharply since the program started 2 years ago.

mike1020 likes this.
  5. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Sizing Chart

Attached Files:

Rather B Riding and doc havoc like this.
  6. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

7. doc havoc

I'm not going to beg if the school is willing to shell out some $. They just don't want/need new for this program. I've found several used ones within a reasonable distance. Was/am mostly concerned about how to size due to the unique (?) use. It's not like there's 100 cases of 80 degree beer being loaded in there every Thursday afternoon.

8. doc havoc

BTW, the chart is useful! Thanks!:thumb:

pecmsg likes this.
  9. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

Sales guy at United Refrigeration has done the sizing for most jobs but I have used this slide rule also. The chart say 8 foot high walls standard 4" foam box indoors. 1505763072562-157352196.jpg

10. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

Cool chart who knew? I just use the finger method. Stand back 15 feet hold up your fingers in front space. See how man fingers it takes to fill space...the add 1500 BTU per finger. :)

Catpower and HMD like this.
  11. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

:boid::boid::boid::boid:

thats a 1/2-Ton :D

Zman likes this.
  12. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Then let them use this manual to size it. (You use the chart its easier)

Attached Files:

Rather B Riding and doc havoc like this.
  13. doc havoc

I like the fact it lists the specific heat for the barrels. Been a long time since I rented a keg and tapper. 7-1/2 gallon = 1/4 barrel or 1/2 barrel?

14. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

1/4

15 1/2 gal per barrel. (actually 1/2 barrel)

15. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

I ran a call at a hole in the wall convenience store for WIC too warm. Stepped in the cooler. Old Bohn evap coil 50+ degree box. Stepped out back and did a double take. Had to look a the line set to confirm that what I was seeing was actually true. A residential AC condenser. R 22 is R 22 right?

16. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Ive seen it before. Surprisingly sometimes the compressor matches.

We have one account with water cooled in the attic, someone installed a Rheem condensing unit on the roof and piped the discharge line to that then back down. 10 years running like that I cant convince him its wrong!

Rather B Riding likes this.
  17. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

If it's low budget just find whatever you can. Anything that's anywhere between 6,000btu and 12,000btu and it will work fine.

doc havoc likes this.
  18. R/HVAC

R/HVAC selfemployed

here is a McQuay chart for beer.

Attached Files:

doc havoc likes this.
  19. MOFO the psychic gorilla

MOFO the psychic gorilla sitting on two achers

best rule of thumb :cool:

20. HMD

HMD does it matter?

qwacker has a window rattler or 2