1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Static Pressure Thread: Air Handlers

Discussion in 'Residential' started by Doc, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Jay 41

Jay 41 Whole-ass

They don't say.......what merv rated filter.:lachen:

2. Doc

Doc Insert clever and witty comment here

Two words I've been using in class a lot lately are "As Shipped". This is typically how the equipment is rated. The easiest way to know for sure is by taking a look at the footnotes in the fan performance data.

Did they happen to mention voltage corrections and system effect too Benny? :)

3. Darryl

Darryl New Member

I have seen air balancing performed many times on Industrial units but never thought that it was necessary on a little residential system? If the ductwork is properly sized and the system is properly installed I wonder if it really means very much? Not trying to be a smart arse just trying to figure out if this is worth real world pursuing. I have access to a SouthRidge and might give it a look see if it was important to document. DOC please continue to explain

4. Jay 41

Jay 41 Whole-ass

How many have you seen done "right"?:loltard:

5. Darryl

Darryl New Member

Probably have seen 20 to 30 over the last few years how about you? I typically use a professional balance company. These are multimillion dollar projects involving entire buildings along with paint booths and exhaust systems typically found in large automotive manufacturing facilities a typical AHU is 50,000 CFM or more. Right / Wrong I don't know? Just trying to figure out if on a little 10 or 20k residential project that it is really worthwhile? It would probably add a healthy percentage of cost on a small residential job? Note: The balance companies do not use the magnehelic gauges for readings, they are notorious for being inaccurate especially at lower statics...... Need a SouthRidge or equivalent. Just found the concept interesting no offense meant.

6. ISOTHERMAL

ISOTHERMAL senior member

only the ones that I install.......:D

7. Jay 41

Jay 41 Whole-ass

True story.:bowdown::beer:

8. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

Your post is interesting . I hope Doc will respond. My simple way of thinking about it a fellow from here helped me with . Doesn't really matter is its 5 or 500 tons. It has to move heat and energy from one place to another by means of water, refrigerant and or air.

9. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

too easy :)

10. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

TESP is probably one of the most important measurements you can have for diagnosing system problems

11. Jay 41

Jay 41 Whole-ass

You could always ask the 5 year old failed compressor, or failed heat exchanger if it's worth it.:loltard:

12. Y7turbo

Y7turbo New Member

Air flow testing should be performed on all systems. Its can benefit the customer if something is found wrong and help with service when system problems come up. I carry a pitot tube in my truck all the time, it only takes a few minutes to poke some holes in the duct(if its accessible) and take some readings, no more guessing when you have the actual facts!

Chuck and Jay 41 like this.
  13. Doc

Doc Insert clever and witty comment here

Even if the Duct system is designed and installed properly it needs to be balanced to verify the design was actually achieved. Not sure about magnehelics being inaccurate. I have not found that to be the case and I've compared them against micromanometers.

14. gasrepser

gasrepser New Member

What about commercial RTU

15. HVAC BRO

HVAC BRO New Member

One think air balance does it insured a proper charged. TESP IS MEASURE AFTER FILTER AND BEFORE( A) COIL THEN MATCH TO MANUFACTURED DATA TO GET CFM. usually .50 normal any thing above their are restriction,filter , Acoil ,ducts both side of sys.

16. chucko615

chucko615 Banned camp counselor

Who are you and why can't you read the rules

17. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

I guess you can't read the rules.

18. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

Damn we think alike.:mrbill::mrbill:

19. jrbenny

jrbenny Yuge member

:confused:

20. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

I think he meant that in order to be sure charge is correct, you first need to verify proper airflow, but had he typed all that he would be hvacprofessor..