1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

The maintenance guy

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Rather B Riding, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

What would you do? This is what happened today. I run a call for a Make Up Air unit needs to shutdown when the fire alarm goes off. Meet the alarm guy and figure it out. I've only been to this place one time and that was for a reach in cooler. Meet the maintenance guy at the desk he shows the kitchen hood, fire panel etc. I want to see the unit what's the best way to the roof? Shows me a place in the flower beds I can toss up an extension ladder. We had 1/2 to an inch of snow overnight so I kick the snow out the way a toss up my ladder a little steeper than normal but only like 3 or 4 degrees. Im just doing what I normally would for the conditions. I go up first and strap it down. He comes up behind me. Units not running so I told him to go turn it on. Guy gets down and resets my ladder before he climbs back up. Now it's in the snow. Shallower the a good set and he raised another rung so it 4 over the top of the roof and it's not strapped down now. WTH. I usually give the maintenance guys a break because I started as a maintenance guy. I just wanted to hear what some of you guys would have done if this happened to you.

2. John Ringo

John Ringo Whole Caf

I have insurance that covers damage I do when i set my ladder wrong.... the moment you touched my ladder you took full responsibility....

and by the way ....dont touch my ladder... and go get me a Mocha Frappachino...

Jon, Zman, coldsnap and 5 others like this.
  3. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

tell him its company policy for you to set the ladder as per the insurer, but since he moved it you need him to go down first and foot it per their regs. always blame the boss or insurer.

4. Jay 41

Jay 41 Whole-ass

You still drinking that foo-foo coffee?:D

5. John Ringo

John Ringo Whole Caf

Only when I send a maintenance guy to get me coffee..

6. John Ringo

John Ringo Whole Caf

No bullshit...

7. Jay 41

Jay 41 Whole-ass

:lachen::lachen::lachen:I believe ya.

8. HMD

HMD does it matter?

he neglected the triple squirt and the umbrella

John Ringo likes this.
  9. jays 65

jays 65 New Member

got my 10 foot ladder setup to get on top of the zero zone 3 door freezer at the dolla tree damn customers move it gotta get there dolla frozen junk man i hate people poor people especially.

LemonWizard likes this.
  10. Rather B Riding

After I made him get down and put it back. I fixed it the way I like which is the proper angle with the snow cleaned up better. I told him this was my ladder if he didn't like the way it was sitting he should set his own up or asked me to move it but Don't touch my ladder. You just don't move a guys ladder. Especially while he's on the roof.

newtech, Catpower and John Ringo like this.
  11. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

maxresdefault.jpg All you got was a 1/2 inch?

Rather B Riding likes this.
  12. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

13. Rather B Riding

Yes we didn't get hammered. I saw some places got like 10". Setting a ladder in the snow sucks. 10 " sucks 10X as much.

14. otto

otto Bakery Chef

He should not have been on your ladder in the first place. I tell them that if they fall off my ladder that they will have to drag themselves away from it because they should not be on it anyway.

John Ringo and Ballvalve79 like this.
  15. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

I carry some salt for under the feet and clear snow and wait a few minutes before set up. It's just part of doing the job we do in winter. Things take a little bit longer, move a tad slower and be dam sure of your ladder set. Next thing is tell your maintenance man to keep his dick beaters off of your stuff. I would be gentle about it but make sure your piont is crystal clear.....the first time.....next time it's game on telling him where the bear shits in the woods.

newtech and Rather B Riding like this.
  16. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Wheres your Safety Harness? You might get hurt falling into all that Sh!t! :D

17. Joeysmith

Joeysmith New Member

Catpower likes this.
  18. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

I double dawg dare you:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Rather B Riding and Joeysmith like this.
  19. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

Our Company policy - no one other than an employee is to use our ladders period.

I will tell maint people (I have one woman that does maint- she is actually good and listens) not to use my ladder and if they do so its their risk and don't move it -

20. Rather B Riding

I carry salt too but first snow kind of caught me unprepared. This was in the flower beds and the ground was still soft it had a good footing.
    There was one time I cleared it and spread salt. On the roof all day only to find it was frozen in ice when I got down.