1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Tradespeople vs. Coffee Pourers?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by GTT, Nov 18, 2017.

1. GTT

GTT Wannabe on a boat on a bay with a beer, & my Babe!

Duh, PBS. Mike Rowe and others have been preaching this for YEARS!!. College and university professors have feathered their nests for decades while their students are saddled with tens of thousands in debt, still live at home, and pour coffee for near minimum wage. I have seen first hand what a difference a "tech school" education can do for people that sink their teeth into what is offered!!

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/decades-pushing-bachelors-degrees-u-s-needs-tradespeople

A/C guy's girl and Catpower like this.
  2. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

All of my siblings had BS degrees or better, I had always made the same income or more over the years, and the last 8 years I made more then all of them put together (Blue wire nuts era)

That being said in 2002 I decided I needed to get more help. In Oklahoma there is a trade school called Okmulgee, it used to be the gold standard in tech schools, so I hired two of the upper end troops fresh out of school, what had once been a trade school had been turned into an Associates Degree school, they never even learned to braze solder or anything, just theory. one of them lasted 1-2 days, the other just about a year, luckily Ila fired him before the summer heat kicked in, so I had to go out and see what he had ****ed up.

One was 8 factory reman Carlyle 06e 275s, he installed the HPCO and LPCO opposite, so when the solenoid valves closed the compressors didn't shut off, cook all 8 of them. Luckily I was able to get that taken care of before I got shot

3. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

We’re still screwed.

Everyone we hire from the local technical school is pretty much worthless.

They barely have a grasp on anything and struggle to use hand tools or a multimeter and can’t even do basic jobs like change a contactor or a motor.

4. Joeysmith

Joeysmith New Member

I think parents are more to blame than trade school's. To may kids are set in front of a screen of some kind for entertainment. Remember when you we're taught to use a screwdriver? Me either its just one of those things I've always known.

5. mike1020

I’ve had two different youtes now, both apprentices, I’ve literally had to teach both of them how to use a drill on their first day of work.

I probably shouldn’t call them youtes, they’re both the same age as me.

6. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

I've heard the same thing about dunwoody grads. That used to be a premiere tech college. They've taken away their academic freedom and force them to teach canned curriculum. And they charge $25,000 for tuition.

7. mike1020

The owner of our company is the president of the board that oversees the hvac program at the local vocational school.... oh excuse me I mean the local community college of liberal arts.

He thinks that everything is perfect and the program is doing good.

On the other hand, our national account manager is seeing what’s going on and thinks the hvac program is doing a terrible job educating the students.

Our national accounts manager got into a heated argument with the owner about this, and the argument almost degraded to the point of fisticuffs.

8. Jay 41

Jay 41 Whole-ass

I've done what I can to help cover the next couple of generations.... son and Grandson. IMG951222.jpg IMG951719.jpg

9. Catpower

When I was going to Northwest Iowa Testicle College I was in the VICA competition and beat the guy from Dunwoody, my instructor told me it was because of him I won, he went to Dunwoody

The HVAC/R program at NITC was a damned good one, but I just got their quarterly atta boy, pat me on the back at how good we are doing magazine and there is no more HVAC/R taught there, I think it is too going towards associate degree shit, damned shame most high school grads should know enough about participles and past participles and all the other bullshit to get by.

Shit I had to threaten my SR year English teacher that was a friend of the family if she didn't pass me I would be back with a vengeance, I was .05% below 70

Now if it had been my 9-11 grade teacher I would have gladly stayed back with her, man she was sooo fine and fresh out of college, about 21 YO

R2D2-TX likes this.
  10. R2D2-TX

R2D2-TX New Member

You either have the aptitude or you don’t..
    Promises from so called tech school is BS.. it is only about the paycheck and not about the poor student that just don’t have what it takes to move into a job like the school program promises. It’s sad these young people are given false hope... I had a young man approach me at a Chick Fil A that was an employee there who told me he had graduated from some HVAC tech School and needed a job. Sad to say this young man just did not have the mental capacity to communicate very well... I hate to judge him but there would be no way he could communicate with a customer in a professional manor. I think he could be on a filter changing crew as a helper or a parts runner.
    There is a place for him somewhere.. I really hope he finds something in hvac...

Rather B Riding and Catpower like this.
  11. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

The Trade School I went to,turned the Program into an Associate's Degree. Me nose how's ta speaks correctally! Why am I writing an essay in English Class,instead of being hands on,in the Lab? And the Advanced Algebra class! I'm sure formulas and geometry has it's place in the field,but it's my money, and I have a calculator. Give me a wrench,not a pencil! Oh,and they Doubled the Tuition Cost!!!

12. GTT

GTT Wannabe on a boat on a bay with a beer, & my Babe!

I was an instructor for about a year and half. It was a private, for profit school. And, it went under after getting crossways with the DOE. Some of the students that went thru, sadly, if they are still in the biz, they are likely as R2D2-TX says. But, there were a substantial number that did "sink their teeth in" and are kickin ass in the industry, and they have went out of their way to thank me for putting solid knowledge in their hands.

13. mike1020

I had to take psychology. It was a joke. I was smarter than the psychology instructor.

14. mike1020

Most the classes I took in vocational school sucked.

About the only good thing was half the days were spent working independently in the shop so we could tear into stuff and figure it out for ourselves.

15. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

I have not seen more than one guy come from a tech school that new very much. I never went to school, didn't even know how to wire up a light switch. Bought the books, read everyone of them and did the ojt to learn. Been a very satisfying 26 years, still learning shit every day.

16. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

Still new in the trade eh?

17. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

Probably, but who knows for sure

18. Jon

Jon Team Canada

You need to remember we're not all as old as you.
    IMG_0854.JPG

Texas-Tech likes this.
  19. Catpower

The school I went to was pretty damned good, but you had to want to learn it

What pissed me off was when I was going to school the unemployment rate was quite high so Carter started a program of paying people to go to trade schools if they were on unemployment, they got about $500 per month, the giverment paid for all their books, tools and meters even torches, vacuum pumps everything and all was the highest priced stuff you could buy. The GI bill paid $300 something, and not a ****ing dime for tools and books

When we were close to graduation a lot the people who were in the giverment program were selling their tools and shit for about 10 cents on the dollar, and I scarfed up all I could afford, bought two new Imperial block manifolds with the 3/8 vacuum porting for under $10 each, they were over 100 at the time torches and vacuum pumps were $25-30

20. HMD

HMD does it matter?