1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Tradespeople vs. Coffee Pourers?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by GTT, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Joeysmith

Joeysmith New Member

Poor is having to use them for heating the house. Only the rich got to play with them.

R2D2-TX and knave like this.
  2. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

This is a very interesting thread. The testing for employment has good and bad. Some guys have never been to school for HVAC and are better techs than some that went. I worked with both.
    I graduated from a vocational school that was run by the school system. I spent 1/2 day at Vo-Tech my last 2 years of high school. I could pass a lot of test but I was green as hell. You really have to be in the field awhile before you really start applying what you have learned.
    I started out in the maintenance field and even though I was doing some HVAC/R you don't get the same experience a running a service van. When I went to work for a HVAC contractor I felt like I learned more in 1 year than I had in the last 5. The fact that you run so many calls on a lot of different equipment gives more experience in a shorter time.
    I think starting at a residential/light commercial company helps some get a good start. Let's face it there is a lot of different equipment in commercial. It can be very overwhelming for a guy right out of school. But he does well on the entrance test.
    Here's one other point because most of us have worked with one of these type guys. He knows what he's talking about, he talks a good game, and he has experience at other companies but he can't troubleshoot and fix a damn thing.
    When I'm helping train the new guys one of my big things I try to get into thier head is make it look like you care about what you do. Just because it's inside the unit and Joe customer may never see it, do the kind of work that another tech might come behind you and say this guy does good work.
    Most good HVAC techs can do a unit survey for a potential customer and get thier current contractor fired. I've done it several times. If the equipment look nice neat well taken care of it's a lot harder to do. So make it look like you care. Like it's your equipment.
    I don't look down at anyone no matter what they do. Even though I did joke about it earlier but the burger flipper thing came up earlier. Every time I here the 15 dollar an hour argument come up I think about that act like you care comment. If you can't get the order right you haven't show your worth it.
    In my opinion it takes about a year to really find out how good a tech is and where his skill level is at. Test or no test. And one of these days I'll get to use my new tools.;)

Catpower, GTT and R2D2-TX like this.
  3. HMD

HMD does it matter?

no.

just my reputation.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  4. knave

knave Undeterred

I don’t have as many hammmers

5. knave

knave Undeterred

We had a good old interview and spoke about stuff. What I had done and what they do.

6. R2D2-TX

R2D2-TX New Member

IMG_6197.JPG
    @knave only carries one hammer✌️

HMD likes this.
  7. R2D2-TX

R2D2-TX New Member

Think about this idea...
    So if you take on a guy or gal that is willing to pay me to train them in the field..evaluate after 6 months if all is good go for another 6 months of paying me to learn hands on in the field “real world” then I would be more than happy to put him or her on the payroll at some capacity.. beats the alternative “trade School “.. just saying they would have a better shot of what we are really looking for✌️
    But they would need to have callouses or cuts on their hands to prove they can turn a screwdriver

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  8. Bustawrench

Bustawrench Knucklehead

Back in the day, yes.

Don't think anybody it around here these days.

9. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Someone vouched for me, lol

“Jim” said I was a good man so I was hired on the spot

10. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

They knew that you knew me

And Jim had already vouched for me.

So you were in like Flint

11. HMD

HMD does it matter?

doug baldwin told them to hire me

12. GTT

GTT Wannabe on a boat on a bay with a beer, & my Babe!

Contractors, owners and managers may compete, but around here, they KNOW if a tech has a reputation, good or bad. So, they know what to expect, pretty much. But, in the spring, without fail, 'HELP WANTED' and temptation to move on . . . .

13. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Any Company that takes the time and expense to bring on board, show me the ropes, has a little patience and treats me fairly, gets my loyalty. Ain't leaving for an extra buck or two! Which is one reason why companies are hesitant to train apprentices.

GTT and MNHVAC like this.
  14. Anita sannich

Anita sannich Exceptionally average

Evap, cond, comp, exp.device.
    Am I hired?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    GTT, Zman and Catpower like this.
  15. somedude

somedude Senior Stalker & PITA, aka zachhvac

Had a supplier tell me a story about a kid that came in to fill out an application.
    His Father was a customer.
    Kid comes in at the wrong time, fills out the App completely in text shorthand , ur instead of your lol the whole thing.
    Supplier handed the app to the father ,poor guy

Zman likes this.
  16. MNHVAC

MNHVAC Man on a mission

Too many companies aren't willing to train. They want experience. Which really sucks for new guys like me.

Even the ones that advertise on their job post "looking for tech students still in school." I've applied to a few of those only to receive a "contact us when you're done with school" response.

17. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

I've hired and fired quite a few people but one guy I will always remember, he came in dressed nice mid fifties, and sharp as a tack, I asked him some basic questions and he fired right back with the right answers, so I gave him tougher questioning, he was a razor blade, I started him at a little more than he was asking

When he showed up for work a couple days later, I swear he had a clone come in the first time, because when he showed up, he was a total ****ing moron, the clothes he wore looked like he got them out of a dumpster, he lasted about 2 weeks.

I always wondered if he didn't have a twin brother:lachen::lachen:

mike1020 likes this.
  18. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

You need some gloves

Anita sannich likes this.
  19. Anita sannich

Anita sannich Exceptionally average

The real way to find out someones worth? Take away all their money.

frozensolid, Catpower and Chuck like this.
  20. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

That's why i'm still married too Q V! :D :evil: