1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Trane chiller

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Ballvalve79, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

So I'm working on a Trane chiller rta series. I found the entering water temperature sensor was unreliable and had shorted to the insulation jacket. Called Trane and ordered both entering and exiting water temp sensors. Parts man says he has em and I will need an accessory connect kit. I says ok send it as well. The connection between the sensors us a 4 wire cable and has a junky looking compression type deal that cuts into the wires and is sealed by a silicone looking caulk. I'm good with him up to this piont. Then I get told it needs to be programmed. Wtf is there to program? It's not addressed as near as I can tell and the other things on this same ribbon cable Like the suction and discharge thermistor. Parts man looks up the suction be thermistor says no program ming needed with it. Idk I ordered the things and will deal with programming if needed.

2. HMD

HMD does it matter?

you may have to 'bind' the new gizmos to the machine's control panel.

3. Tap

Tap i hate it when a velociraptor throws poop at me

For my sanity read the IOM it explains everything. Why does nobody read the damn book for the love of god.

Waggs and Bustawrench like this.
  4. Chuck

Chuck The Other Dude

What? I thought that book was made for a knee pad??

Catpower and Tap like this.
  5. Ballvalve79

It would work great as a knee pad. Lol I have until Monday till the parts arrive. I have a feeling it's gonna be plug and play. But the book is there if I need it.

6. Tap

RT what ? AA WA AC HD WD What serial number? Honestly A full Model and Serial would tell me allot. Your likely mistaken about it being plug and play and the fact that you did not seemingly read the IOM as I suggested drives me crazy, when I was learning the trade in general I read every IOM service guide major stop tear down service bulletin I could get my hands on and to this day I will spend my own time reading these books. Its frustrating to see guys just wanting others to hand over the answers especially if I've had to either spend hours days or months figuring out proprietary information not offered by the factorys, Now this is not a big secret its in black and white in the book, read the damn thing or fall on your face its your choice. You have to want to help yourself i've spent 20 years busting my ass in this business primarily on chillers and i'm sick and tired of younger guys just wanting the information to pop up on google. Oh and if you think im being an ass you should have been around when if an apprentice was smart he got sent to the bench indefinitely best case worst case he lost teeth. Im not trying to be an ass im just trying to express that allot of us got this trade knowledge with blood sweat and tears thousands of hours of note taking reading talking to other techs networking paying for very expensive courses sometimes with our own money.

Waggs, Zman, HMD and 2 others like this.
  7. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Damn, Tappy.... :O
    Ballvalve, the info you need is there in the manual. If the sensors are connected with the ribbon wiring, you will need to bind them to the controller. For that you will need a laptop and software and an RS232 cable to connect from the laptop serial port to the control. At least that's the way I do it. You'll also need the secret Trane magnetic screwdriver with the reversed polarity magnet tip. (The last part is just having a chuckle)

ub2slo likes this.
  8. Ballvalve79

Much appreciated Otto. I ordered the secret Trane screwdriver with the other parts.lol Looks like it's going to be some reading and time involved.

9. Ballvalve79

Mr tap take a pill man I thought we were helping each other here if ya don't wanna help. Don't reply it's simple. I don't have the new parts in hand yet I'm not at the site and don't have the book with me. It will all be there when I go back. I never said I was above reading into it. I guess my original post was expressing frustration with the Trane dealer. They seem to jerk us off regularly with a little white lie here and there because we aren't just dropping everything and calling them for service. It sucks when your parts supplier is directly competing with ya and playing dirty.

10. Tap

Ahh im just having one of those weeks man. I want to see you exceed grab a lap top download tech view and a serial cable a south pole magnet go into binding view click bind light up the led with the magnet and your bound. Make sure you place the new sensor in the well all the way and grab some thermal paste if the well is dry. You get stuck on it shoot me a PM and ill give you my number and ill walk you through it. Give the the model and serial and ill shoot u the book.

11. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

It's a little abrasive but i just cannot deny that there's a whole lotta truth in there. And even if people don't regularly say it, that's exactly what guys are thinking when you call for help while you're kneeling on the iom.

I get really frustrated about this, constantly referring guys to the manual or asking them to fill out a log sheet and call me back.

I'm generalizing, not really talking to ball valve, just saying he does have a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Chuck

Chuck The Other Dude

Amen.

I'm not old yet, but I see this same attitude too much. We have a guy that shows promise, but he openly says he will never do a thing after he clocks out at the end of his pansy 8 hour day. He keeps telling me he will dominate this trade, but has no desire to invest the kind of time and sweat it takes to really make it to the top. I told him he will continue to be mediocre if he keeps that attitude, he didn't like it but I think I'm starting to get through to him.

Texas-Tech likes this.
  13. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

Jim B?:lachen:

14. HMD

HMD does it matter?

jack d.

15. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

José C.

R2D2-TX likes this.
  16. HMD