1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Trane Voyager Combustion Blower

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by coldsnap, Aug 17, 2017.

1. coldsnap

coldsnap -20 on the money

Was on a roof today working on ac related things, when I noticed the combustion blower was running. This unit has a reliatel board with no call for heat or heat lockout present. There was 120 volts on red and purple to ground, 220 or something like that line to line. Unplugging the motor shut it off.
    I remember reading that a motor winding shorts out? I checked the 4 wires in the plug in the motor to ground, all ok. I checked the 4 wires to each other, all had resistance. I also remeber reading about having to add a contactor or something like that. Does anyone have the trane bulletin pertaining to this?

2. Jon

Jon Team Canada

I came across this the other day myself. Water dripping out of unit onto cash registers below. Found combustion blower running while AC running. Pulling humid air through heat exchanger and forming condensation dripping. Read about the motor being internally shorted. They opted to just unplug for now and not replace. Im curious if any one has info on this too.

Andman4135 and mike1020 like this.
  3. Chuck

Chuck The Other Dude

Motor is internally shorted, I've seen it several times.

Rather B Riding likes this.
  4. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

What he said, and if you don't unplug it your big transformer in the cabinet will burn up along with the wiring harness. I've replaced at least a dozen wiring harnesses and the rest of the stuff in the cabinet

Rather B Riding, newtech and knave like this.
  5. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

and they say nothing can stop a Trane!

GTT likes this.
  6. otto

otto Bakery Chef

There's a service bulletin and a relay kit to install that totally isolates the combustion blower motor when not in use.

Attached Files:

7. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

@coldsnap this is what you'll see
    [​IMG]

3 different wiring harnesses altogether
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wtf
    [​IMG]
    Mine complete
    [​IMG]

8. HMD

HMD does it matter?

what a pos!

9. Jim54

Jim54 New Member

Yeah but they can damn sure derail!:eek:

LemonWizard likes this.
  10. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Must have been Target

11. Jon

Jon Team Canada

Target pulled out of Canada eh :canflag:

12. mike1020

Wish they would pull out of America

Jon likes this.
  13. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I worked for one year for a national accounts company. It was so damn boring. Same RTU's all the time, take all the same readings on all the same paperwork. It got so monotonous. And they never wanted to fix anything. It was cheaper to just buy new units every 5 to 8 years. Maybe a condenser fan motor or a contactor but no splitting Voyager coils, no compressors, no big repairs. It sucked, glad I left. Been here with my company now 12 years this June. Variety, big stuff, small stuff, no residential and no national accounts.

Texas-Tech, coldsnap and Chuck like this.
  14. Jon

Jon Team Canada

Replaced motor today . Problem solved :D

sline-dawg and coldsnap like this.
  15. Bustawrench

Bustawrench Knucklehead

Nothing wrecks like a Trane.

coldsnap likes this.
  16. coldsnap

coldsnap -20 on the money

20171005_104824.jpg 20171005_115556.jpg Its been cold the last few mornings, so I got sent back to put the ventor in. I found the pre screen plugged, so i cleaned that before installing the new motor.
    The ignitor tested high, so replaced that. I checked the hx, and tightened all the screws on the burner plate and end plate.
    I verified inlet and outlet gas pressures, motor and ignitor amps, and combustion. She was burning clean at 5ppm co, and 6 percent 02.
    For my own curiosity, I compared the motors. On the old motor, black has ohm readings to all wires, in the 60-70 ohm range. On the new motor, black only has continuity to purple, around 65 ohms.

knave and Jon like this.
  17. mike1020

There's a Red Robin where one of the inducers has run nonstop for two years and they won't approve replacing it.

coldsnap likes this.
  18. Jon

Jon Team Canada

Just unplug it and they will bitch they don't have heat then you can replace it :D

Texas-Tech, GTT and mike1020 like this.
  19. mike1020

I thought about it but that would be dishonest.

Jon and otto like this.
  20. knave

knave Undeterred

Is it bleeding through to ground or is the inducer relay stuck? If it’s a short to ground it’s a safety hazard

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Jon likes this.