1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Twinning units

Discussion in 'Residential' started by jamesyarbrough, Jun 6, 2017.

1. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

What do you guys know about twinning compressors? What would it take to set 2 condensing units and have them share a lineset and stage them?

We got a couple 1 1/2 ton heat pumps sitting around new in box. I wonder if i could make a 2 stage 3 ton heatpump with a single ahu

2. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

I would think at first stage your evap would be oversized. That may result in lower than expected pressures and cause premature freeze ups.

You may or may not be able to fix that with a txv, but I think you'd also need a first and second stage txv for the different rates of refrigerant flow.

3. icy78

icy78 New Member

Balanced Oil return would be a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

frozensolid and newtech like this.
  4. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

spend the extra 150 bucks and run two linesets, you will thank us later

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  5. tuna

tuna New Member

Id either buy two ahu's and have two zones, or wire them up to run together if connecting to one ahu. Would be afraid the oil would log in the indoor coil if only one ran for extended period. I think it would be okay with one line-set as long as they ran together. :dunno:

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  6. icy78

icy78 New Member

Somehow you have to insure equal oil return and I don't think you can do that unless you have oil equalizing piping between compressor sumps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Split an A coil in half. Two line sets.

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  8. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Do what flange said you will be much happier

icy78 likes this.
  9. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

I had two --twenty ton splits serving a bar in the old stadium. they were piped to the opposite condensers, but wired to the right ones. damn things ran that way for YEARS. one day they lost a compressor and the piping mistake was found. not sure how it eve worked except they likely had pretty even runtime due to only being used on game days.

10. Catpower

Back in the days when Trane Was Trane they made two stage units down to 3 tons the evap coils and condensor coils had two separate separate circuits. They worked pretty good

ReeferPool likes this.
  11. jamesyarbrough

Yeah thats my main concern. I dont think you can just drill a hole in a herm compressor and pipe them together.

12. jamesyarbrough

Hell i may just take advantage of the tech rebate and get a 5 stage inverter! .....or i may let it run till it craps out and put something together from the scrap pile. :D

13. jamesyarbrough

Hell i may just take advantage of the tech rebate and get a 5 stage inverter! .....or i may let it run till it craps out and put something together from the scrap pile. :D

14. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

Oil is the obvious problem. But there is another. Where is the liquid going to go when one condensing unit is off. I have seen a setup where someone effed up and did something similar to what you are talking about. They tried to deal with it by putting a check valve at the LL on each circuit. Epic fail. After the third compressor replacement they finally took my advice and bought a new unit.

It was a hard sell because my Company's previous owner did the install. I had the place for like six months and the customer was not real understanding. I just told them If I had done it I would fix it. But I did not, so sorry. I spent at least a hundred grand fixing resi stuff effed up by the prior owner. I finally said no more. This was a Commercial Trane 15 or 20 ton two circuit condenser that should have been a single circuit. Two circuits one unit is the same basic thing as two smaller units.

15. jamesyarbrough

I guess if i had an A coil i could split it in half by seperating the distribution tubes and suction header. Then i would need to find a way to change fan speeds with y1 and y2. A couple relays could do that.

16. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Why change fan speed? The 1/2 of the A coil that's cold will still be pulling moisture and temperature.

17. Randysmit1986

Randysmit1986 New Member

I've seen 2 evap coils piped to one condenser when I first started out...mind was blown lol

18. jamesyarbrough

Well it seems all of the coils we get are aluminum now. So i wont be splitting one.

Hell with it. We'll just let them units sit. Someone will eventually need a couple 18k btu heat pumps

19. Catpower

I got a TIG welder, you could use it

20. heavyevans

heavyevans FNG

Air will follow the least path of resistance. Once the active side is wet, air flow goes to the dry side. So don't stage the two circuits. Best to do this with interlaced coils.

knave and Catpower like this.