1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

VAVs

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Zman, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Any good Reads or advice for becoming more familiar with VAVs? I understand the general concept,and they don't seem overly complicated,but what are the more common issues? Dampers, controller, sensors? Do the small holes in the static pressure sensor get plugged? Haven't worked on one yet, but will possibly in the near future.

2. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

Hot water reheat, electric reheat, fan powered? type of controls on board independent or building management? Air flow stations set up correctly? Just like any other things in our trade too many options to list to give a general answer to your question.

3. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

A VAV box is just that a box with a damper and a motor and controller

A fan powered terminal is a VAV damper with fan powered heat, hot water, electric, steam, but the names of stuff is different across the country they can be parallel or inline. and there are even systems that use the air handler fan for the heat mode, pretty rare, and they suck pretty bad because the south, east and west sides might need cooling but the north side needs heating, so who wins? The asshole that has the stat in their office

In the early 00'sI designed and built fan powered terminals that were slick as possum shit, 2- 7.5 KW single fan or combinations of up to 22.5 KW the single fan ones were 12"x12'x18" very quiet and everyone could have their own stat. And they were pretty easily installed by one man, but two did make it easier, at least you didn't have to **** with ceiling grid. After dumping about $100,000 (not counting labor) into it and the UL sticker, a tornado hit the sheet metal shop and took it's roof off, I finally said **** it, I am done, stick a fork in me

Really it is a very simple operation

Zman likes this.
  4. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

There as much as a pain in the a... as water source heat pumps. It's right over the top of the bitchy ladies desk.:banghead:

Really there all a little different. Just know the basics. Interior boxes are cool only the boxes with heat go on the exterior exposed areas. Sorry that's kind of confusing. The heat vavs will be on the perimeter of the building. Heat vavs can be fan powered electric heat or a standard cool vav with a reheat coil on it.
    The ones you can see damper position are much easier. The Trane vavs that the damper is on the treaded rod are a pain in the ass but you can order it as a complete assembly rather than getting the gear the motor and the capacitor. More expensive but it saves time.
    Don't sweat it they're fairly easy.

Zman and Ballvalve79 like this.
  5. newtech

newtech 636

6. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

Zman and newtech like this.
  7. Ballvalve79

At least when they are over the bitxhy ladies desk you have a good vantage point to look down her blouse. lol see it all goes back to bewbies.

Zman and Rather B Riding like this.
  8. newtech

newtech 636

9. Ballvalve79

I have mostly used a piece of 1/3/8 armaflex

10. otto

otto Bakery Chef

11. HMD

HMD does it matter?

otto likes this.