1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Water Source Heat Pumps

Discussion in 'Residential' started by Zman, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Starting to work on some WSHP.Trying to understand their operation.Will my Pressures be the same in Heat mode as they would be in Cooling,or close?I don't see why not, I'm not dealing with outside Ambient,and my Condenser is a Water Coil within the Unit.The ones I'm seeing are old Tranes,R22,kinda suck to work on,no room to get two hands in there.Was told they don't blow very hot in Heat mode to begin with.

2. 22blood

22blood red wire nuts only

Hopefully the tower is cared for, chemically and water heated in the winter. A big repeative monster is having to flush all the black shit out of the water coil when restricted. Youll know when you have a freeze up in heat or highbhead in cool.
    Probably done 100 of those. This is whenbthe tower is not cared for

3. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

Old Trane heat pumps are a joy aren't they lol. What kind do ya got. The in wall tall and skinny like a locker style or a free standing thing. Is it on a well field or tower or what. Need some more information.

4. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

In cooling mode, they take take heat out of the airstream and transfer it to the water loop.

In heating mode, they take heat out of the water loop, and transfer it to the airstream.

The fan is there to help move the air through the ductwork.

Rather B Riding and sline-dawg like this.
  5. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

I'll give you one piece of advice. Water in/ water out 8-14 degrees rise or drop(cool Heat). Air temp 14+ delta T. It's good move on to the next one.

6. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

The ones I'm seeing are free standing,on floor,short maybe 4 or 5 ft. Long x 2 or 3 high.My Boss told me to work on them extensively,we cut the water lines and drag them back to The shop.Was told if we overcharge them,they can make a mess.When reinstalling,with add unions.One I had,no Heat,had a restriction,bad TX.Its getting ripped out and brought to the shop.The Guys I work with are very smart,teaching me new things I never work on before,just trying to stay ahead of the curb.

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  7. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

And I thought the discharge bypassed the water loop by way of the reversing valve,directly to the evap coil during Heat mode.I could be wrong,hard to get a Good look lying on the floor,crunched next to a bookcase.I was told it's Critical to way your charge.It was the first one I ever worked on.Its beats the ones in the ceiling,that do has ducts,look like Air Handlers,need a 10 foot ladder to work on.Id rather lay down on the job!

8. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

What's an evap coil? :D

9. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

I have a few water plants that all have WSHP. Never saw a 15 ton water furnace till I got this account.

10. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

Charge is critical - MUST weigh in
    heat output is ok for a heat pump.
    if the water loop is maintained properly wshps work just fine
    they are a bitch to work on regardless the brand
    fortunately most are reliable if the water loop is maintained

11. Joe5

Joe5 New Member

Deal with a lot of them in condos. Suck to work on. Usually in a closet or laundry room above a drop ceiling with very limited room to work. Been dealing with 2006-2008 tranes with air coil refrigerant leaks.

12. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

To simplify what flange said. In cool the water is your condenser...in heat the water is your evaporator. Depending on water and air temp the pressures will not be exactly the same.

13. Julius Fletcher

Julius Fletcher New Member

I agree with the discussion, water is a good source.

14. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

Julius, it's been really good knowing you

15. chucko615

chucko615 Banned camp counselor

Hi Julius, there is plenty of water an bant camp. Enjoy your stay