1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Weird Spark Plugs Ford F150 5.4 Liter

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by QuickRick, Oct 26, 2017.

1. QuickRick

QuickRick Proud to be a Deplorable

Guys,

One of Fords "better ideas" was to make a spark plug that is in two pieces welded and sets way down into the chamber. The trouble with this design is that the carbon of combustion builds all around the nose of the plug locking it in place.

When you go to remove it at 100K, it can seize and break off in the cylinder head. You have real problems then unless you buy a Lisle special tool (it goes down into the head and removes the wreckage if you are lucky.

There is a dedicated procedure to using 2 tanks of carbon cleaner and soaking the threads with PB Blaster to help soften that carbon.

So I have decided to go ahead and do the job early as my truck has a fraction of the 100 K miles. Secondly I decided to use nickel anti-seize compound like Ford should have---the knuckleheads!

I have 4 of 8 done, and removing the ones buried at the back is no small feat! I have yet to break one and I am happy to report that the carbon is loose and squishy. I'm a big Top Tier gasoline guy (Shell, Exxon Mobil and Costco now) and can see how it pays dividends.

Here is a photo of the bizarre looking plugs new and old.

QR F150 plugs.jpg

2. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

Good luck on the last 4 !!! You are doing well.

3. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

@HMD said buy a Mopar! :D

HMD likes this.
  4. Sdeery

Sdeery Machinist in training

Buy Champion replacement, they are not welded. I think they make them out of a billet. 5.4L 3 valve engine right ?
    KROIL is the best penetrating oil I have even used BTW.

sdeery

crackertech likes this.
  5. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

I run my fords 200k then trade them in. haven't EVER changed a set of plugs in any of them.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  6. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

Yep those plugs suck

7. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

I have the same truck
    **** the Ford tsb. I have done it 4 times now and only broke one plug. So that's one out of 32.

Pull em hot. They will come. And if it breaks just go to oriely auto parts and get the like tool. It's worth the $100

8. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Been there done that got the scarred knuckles to prove it

9. jamesyarbrough

10. jamesyarbrough

oh btw, I thought I was smart and used the nuckle anti seize. The next time I changed the plugs that was the time one broke off. That shit just turns to carbon.

First thing you need to do is quit reading the f150 forums. They are full of no account pussies with no mechanical ability and walk around saying the sky is falling all the time.

And you don't have to pull the computer to get to that back one on the passenger side. You just need a 5 inch extension. I use a 1/2 drive ratchet, 1/2 - 3/8 adapter and 4 inch extension.

Ballvalve79 likes this.
  11. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

Exactly don't listen to the skirts doing their plugs and posting on utube about how hard it is. Just be a mechanic and change the dam things. My FIL broke all 8 of his lol,but he could damage an anvil with a rubber hammer.

12. Swampfox

Swampfox red tagged

Take them out with an impact, the shock breaks the carbon loose and the plugs come out in one piece

13. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

I had a 5.4 one time and some troops were talking about the plugs, shit I couldn't even find te ****ers

But I really didn't look too hard and it only had 34,000 on it when I sold it to my nephew

14. QuickRick

Yeah I'm guilty of reading the F150 Forums but I do learn some good stuff off of them so I take some of it with a grain of salt. The back passenger plug was a real whore, but it came out and went in without any real issues. If you dwell on it too long you'd never attempt it, it looks impossible.

Half of those that do the one-piece Champions end up not liking them and I figure as tough as these things are to remove, I'll go with what's supposed to be in there. Oh, it is indeed a 5.4 -3Valve V8.

QR

15. ISOTHERMAL

ISOTHERMAL senior member

Lots of us here grew up in a time where spark plugs needed to be cleaned and gap set, on a regular basis. Now a days, it is amazing how long an engine run without cleaning or replacing spark plugs.

Check out Ford Truck Enthusiast web site. Lots of info there...

I'll stick with my oldies

truecountry likes this.
  16. Sdeery

Sdeery Machinist in training

@ISOTHERMAL
    I know what you mean, it's amazing the longevity of modern cars.

Ask one of the young mechanics to set a dist. and they will be lost (I have done it)

The short of a long story is that I had to do it on the boss (at the time) jeep wrangler.
    Everyone in the shop had a turn at fixing it, took it to another shop and he got hosed for an upgraded alternator and battery, but they never put a new lead from alt. to batt.
    So in trying to keep the story short, everyone took a shot at fixing it but it languished in our shop.
    After I got the timing locked down, and set the retard on the vac. advance it ran better, but it would buck real bad after a short run. I clamped down the lead on the fuel pressure regulator return line they had added and viola.
    I come in the next morning to our straw boss tearing the dist. out of the truck. Apparently, he decided to dig into it first thing in the morning despite it having sat in the corner of the shop for quite some time. :headscratch:

sdeery

Catpower and ISOTHERMAL like this.
  17. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Yup about every 8-10,000 miles, but that was before shade tree mechanics were dinosaurs

I had a 1970 F100 with a 302 that would go through condensors like crazy, I started carrying a spare with me, when it would start back firing for no reason drop a new condensor in it and wa la

truecountry and ISOTHERMAL like this.
  18. jamesyarbrough

Condensers?

19. jamesyarbrough

Is that like an ignition module?

For dinosaurs? :D

oroy54, Catpower and ISOTHERMAL like this.
  20. QuickRick

Update,

I didn't break one plug (quite possible when the carbon gets stuck between the head and the nose of this plug). The left bank was much easier to do because there's much more space to work. It runs fairly well on the new double platinums.

I had time left over so I bought some throttle body cleaner and removed the body for cleaning. All of the engine vapors get routed into this TB, mucking it up. If it gets too ugly, the truck won't idle correctly. I suppose this is because the movable blade gets stuck on all the debris that builds up inside. You need to use the right cleaner or risk the Teflon coating inside the TB.

The body utilizes an electric gear motor to operate the throttle blade plate so there's a calibration for it I'll perform tomorrow. It needs to learn how to move in a cleaned bore as the engine warms, and transmission shift points...pretty neat.

QR

truecountry likes this.