1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Weird Spark Plugs Ford F150 5.4 Liter

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by QuickRick, Oct 26, 2017.

1. truecountry

truecountry gosh damn mrs sg is mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and sum

I just brought a case of penetrating oil from a company claiming they are better the Kroil I laughed at salesman and asked if it isn't do you buy it back he said yes I will...so if its better I will release the name

doc havoc likes this.
  2. truecountry

That's because of 10 percent ethanol gas its like sugar makes it sticky ...the only calibration should be unhook battery for 2 mins and press brake pedal and computer resets back to factory settings ...it will run rough for 3 mins and then put up and go

3. Sdeery

Sdeery Machinist in training

@truecountry
    Been a while, was wondering where you were.

sdeery

truecountry likes this.
  4. Jay 41

Jay 41 Whole-ass

Another good reason NOT to buy a Ford.:D

Jon, jamesyarbrough and Chuck like this.
  5. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

:boid:

truecountry likes this.
  6. Chuck

Chuck SSP

When I did auto repair I did a couple head gasket jobs on the 4.6 and 5.4, fighting to get to everything under the dash. Talked to the Ford dealer mechanic later and he said they always lift off the entire cab and front clip so they can get to the engine. I wonder what the engineers were smoking when they dreamed up that cab design.

oroy54 likes this.
  7. Jay 41

Jay 41 Whole-ass

damn.

8. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Actually it isn't that bad at all,much easier in the end

9. Catpower

Actually it is a small capacitor

10. Catpower

If Y'all think a pickup is hard to work on, work on an F4 fighter, talk about shit crammed in small places

truecountry likes this.
  11. QuickRick

QuickRick Proud to be a Deplorable

The cool thing about Youtube are the cool videos sometimes by mechanics who work on your make of vehicle.

So you disconnect the negative post, run a jumper from positive to the disconnected battery negative lead for two minutes (to drain the computer's capacitor he said) then hook it all up, let the warning lights go out start and idle it from cold, no accessories on for 10-15 minutes. You then drive it normally for about 10 minutes and it learns your shift point etc.

He showed what this was actually doing on a scanner tool......it is setting the fuel trims. Doing it right pays dividends because it idles smoothly and seems to have great response now (it will be interesting to see if the really bad fuel economy improves with all my work).

QR securedownload.jpg

12. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Never seen a 4x4 truck that clean in the middle of winter. Don't suppose that was taking yesterday.

13. QuickRick

Zman,

I am really anal about my cars and stuff, even in winter as much as I can be. I actually created an inside spigot system with a warm water mix so that washing a car in freezing temperatures is possible. The trick is to hurry up and pull it into a warm garage asap. If the winter turns ugly, the truck is the vehicle of choice to pull us through the deep stuff with the new Bridgestone Duelers.

Here's a photo of the truck as it looks this morning. I'm not a Ford Truck fan by any means, in fact if I traded it on a new truck it would be a Chevy Duramax Diesel Colorado ZR2. We came by the truck because it belonged to my brother-in-law who used it only to pull a bass boat. The wife likes the fact that it is still around as a reminder of him and I agree. It only has 16,300 original miles and it is a 2004, so it is effectively new.

The only trouble with old vehicles is that the technology lets them down. You know, no Bluetooth, navigation, XM radio, a USB port, the volume control is "way over there". So now it has a Magnaflow cat-back set of dual SS exhausts, Alpine head unit that solves all those above lacking features plus a big old Alpine amp and sub-woofer to amp up the fun. LED lighting inside and outside really makes it look bright and cheery now.

It doesn't look too bad for being 14 years old does it? I suppose that we could trade it in on a new truck.........but why?

QR DSCN6714.JPG
    P.S. All my mechanic friends agreed that doing the spark plugs now, coating the nose of them with anti-seize was wise (get them before they get you)

Zman likes this.
  14. Catpower

We have been looking into motor homes and a lot of them are controlled by technologies of the current era. What happens when the technologies of the current era are no longer available?

If we do get one it isn't going to be a cheap Winnebago, more on the lines of a Prevost, it would suck to have a $750,000+ motor home that is controlled by a technology that no longer exists, you would end up buying big blue wire nuts in the end

They would have you by your balls

BTW nice looking truck, my wife's is a 2002 and it is still like new, and has one of the more desired engines to pull with, a 7.3 PS. It leaks no oil, burns no oil, needs no DEF and has been paid for for a long time.My 2001 PS is in pretty good shape too, but the utility bed takes away all of it's glamor :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

But it rides much better then Ila's hers is a 4x4 cab and a half with a short bed, amazing how much smoother a 2 foot longer wheel base makes

15. QuickRick

My next door neighbor bought a plain old regular cab, long bed F150 with a 3.5 Liter Ecoboost. It rides well and that little V6 (213 cubes) is way quicker that our 5.4 Liter V8 with 330 cubes. A Raptor uses a version of the 3.5 Ecoboost and it generates 450 HP.

I don't think that you should worry about the technology thing on your motor home. There are lots of talented guys out there to work on it.

QR

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  16. truecountry

Try a Caterpiller 320e they build machine around everything hoses metal lines etc POS

Catpower likes this.