1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

What do you guys think about this one?

Discussion in 'Residential' started by Valleycoastjoshua, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Valleycoastjoshua

Valleycoastjoshua New Member

I went to a call last week and it kind of started wrong because the customer talked about replacement and the repair at the same time and quite frankly I would rather sale him a new unit and replace the old one it's 17 years old and icp condenser, Rheem furnace out of warranty and is r22. Anyways the breaker was tripped I turned it back on and everything was working but the suction line was freezing. I checked the filters and they were fine. I checked the pressure
    Ambient 80
    Low side 55 (around 32) line temp around 42,45 superheat approx 10
    High side 275 (around 110) line temp around 80
    Fixed meter devise
    No filter drier
    73 return 55 supply
    Condenser coils were pressed in at a lot of spots

I suspected the coil being blocked cause low suction and low super heat but the Rheem coil mounted horizontally sucked with me trying to investigate. And I was suspicious of a restriction at the metering devise maybe causing the high supcooling and high head. I added a little r22 and the suction did not increase. I did not fully diagnose the coil blockage due to accessibility and I didn't open the metering devise because it's r22 and I would replace with new charge and the repair is going to be costly if I get involved. I charged him for my service call and some for adding the r22 and confirm it's not low. He may buy a new unit which I'm hopeful of but I do wish I knew what the issue is. I am mostly confused because normally when I imagine a Restictrion super heat is high and with diagnosing the block in Evap coil it was shaped like a w laying sideways and right beside the furnace I couldn't clean it if I wanted.

2. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

How can the line be 42-45F and still be freezing?

3. Valleycoastjoshua

When it wasn't freezing that was the line temp it didn't freeze for a while

4. 22blood

22blood red wire nuts only

Any charts inside the consensor panel. Like bulb temp/press or PT chart

5. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Possibly low airflow

jpb2 likes this.
  6. Catpower

Ya need to get some more air over that coil. might be dirty coil, filters, or fan or a combination of them all

7. Valleycoastjoshua

The high sub cooling didn't indicate any form of restriction

8. Valleycoastjoshua

I think I put my blinders on when he said he wanted a new unit. Still waiting for him to call back

9. sline-dawg

sline-dawg schizophrenic psycho

Permafrost..... it's that good......:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Catpower likes this.
  10. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

Maybe they live in a vacuum

11. Catpower

Actually it can, if over the years everybody has been trying to get the low pressure side high enough to stop freezing,so they kept adding refrigerant to raise the pressure,but the restriction causes the unit to run with a starved evap so there isn't as much of a load as the system was designed for, so it just super sub cools

Zman and Valleycoastjoshua like this.
  12. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

Could have a dirty evap coil and you just can't see it

mike1020 likes this.
  13. Valleycoastjoshua

I feel that way. I think I'm going to start just try sale a new evaporator if I run into a messed up one

14. Valleycoastjoshua

I feel like that is good expo

15. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

If you clean an obviously dirty evap and it works, you are a hero

If you clean the obviously dirty evap and it still doesn't work, you have plausible deniability and exercised due diligence

If you sell them a new evap and it doesn't work, you'll be on 20/20

HMD and Zman like this.
  16. Valleycoastjoshua

Yeah but if you are suspicious of a meter devise issue you can solve both problems

17. Valleycoastjoshua

It's easy to diagnose if my condenser is causing the problem generally

18. coldsnap

coldsnap -20 on the money

Check the secondary hx too

19. Valleycoastjoshua

I found that as a issue on a real old unit before I didn't solve it and sold a new one and seen the problem when the installers were pulling it out. But it was very old any ways

20. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

If it's pinched off leaving the condenser then it's going to pile up in the condenser and leave a high subcool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk