1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

What is this and why

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by otto, Aug 11, 2017.

1. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I have a domestic water heat exchanger that is acting up. I suspect this device is malfunctioning but not sure what it is called and how it should be set. I think it is a two-purpose device, check valve and flow. Perhaps it only allows flow through the exchanger if the pump is running? The pump is on a limit on the discharge of the domestic so if it gets too hot it turns off pump and closes 3 way to stop boiler water. I may be mistaken on the piping diagram, going back today. The device is on a 1 1/4" pipe, cylindrical, red and has balancing ports on either end. Internal is a spring and a bell-like check. More pictures later. dom water exchanger.png

2. knave

knave Undeterred

Are they using a recirc pump on the domestic side?

It seems odd that they would use the outlet water temp instead of a sensor well in the tank.

3. otto

otto Bakery Chef

There is a recirc pump. There is no tank, the dom hot goes to the condo units then recircs back. It's a large condo building, 5 stories and maybe 200 units so the whole loop is the tank. Maintains 135° discharge.

knave likes this.
  4. otto

otto Bakery Chef

If I knew what the device was called I could probably learn more about it. I just need to know what it's called.

5. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Try
    Thermostatic Control Valve

6. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

7. knave

knave Undeterred

Thought it was an indirect, lol.

With pressure port on each end, it has to be a flow control, circuit setter, etc.

Some are preset and not adjustable, but then you should have a GPM rating on the side somewhere.

8. knave

knave Undeterred

Does the mixing valve modulate to a preset temperature

9. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Thats what im thinking.

The pump shutting off is just a safety the valve controls the H W Supply

10. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

11. otto

otto Bakery Chef

There is a tag that was hanging on the device since 1972 but is no longer legible.

12. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Yes the 70's were a lot of fun............... Just wish i could remember most of it :headscratch:

otto likes this.
  13. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I am thinking if the pump shuts off this check prevents flow via the diff pressure between the boiler supply & return.
    The pump safety is a mechanical well limit. The 3 way is controlled by a T775 and a 2-10 actuator on a control loop.

knave likes this.
  14. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I am going back this morning. They had no hot water and can only get flow by running both primary loop pumps. The boilers provide baseboard heat for all the units in the winter. Only one primary pump should be needed in the summer since the heating loops are closed down. So with two primary pumps it is keeping the device open but beating the hell out of it.

15. knave

knave Undeterred

Some WSHP in office ceilings that I've worked on had non adjustable flow setters, cylindrical, a soft rubbery disc inside would regulate flow, more flow would squish it tighter against corrugated surface.

They have lots of issues with plugging up.

16. otto

otto Bakery Chef

This job has 4 buildings all served by the two huge atmospheric boilers in one building. We replaced the heat exchangers in 3 of the other buildings. When they were replaced one of the devices cracked (cast iron) and it was replaced by a circuit setter. I may just do that and be done with it. I prefer to know what this is, why it's there and can I just replace it with a regular circuit setter.

17. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

Thermostatic mixing valve with remote bulb. It measures the leaving temperature of your domestic water using the remote bulb, which is gas charged and drives the actuator on the three way mixing valve to maintain desired temperature.

18. flange

today it would be done differently, using a tempering valve where the leaving hot water goes ot one inlet, cold water to the other and the leaving water is tempered to maintain less than 130 degrees.

19. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

I think Flange and Knave are correct. The building does not want to get sued by sending scalding water to the buildings. It may even be code.

20. flange

It is a code requirement around here anyway these days. Back then it may have just been a good business practice I don't know I wasn't doing HVAC in 1972. Around here we can't send more than 120 up to the building so we typically store at a higher temperature to keep from organic growth then mix it down to about 1:18 going up to the building