1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

What is this and why

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by otto, Aug 11, 2017 at 8:35 AM.

1. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Not the mixing valve, the long valve with the taps.

2. otto

otto Bakery Chef

3. otto

otto Bakery Chef

4. otto

otto Bakery Chef

5. otto

otto Bakery Chef

6. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

To me it looks like it's keeping supply pressure higher than return pressure but with restricting flow. Just a guess.

Why I am not sure about some kind of bypass?

7. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

8. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

We don't do many boilers in the sunshine so school me. Could they be using that to keep the boiler fired during low load demand. To keep the cold water sandwich effect from occuring?

9. otto

otto Bakery Chef

So still not sure about the why but, it did make the rattling noise today so it's getting a new one. Also a bad 6" check and shut off valve on one of the primary pumps. There are so many scenarios that this device can apply to. I am not 100% sure why it is in there, perhaps to limit the flow through the heat exchanger or to prevent excessive bypass from supply to return when the heat exchanger is satisfied.
    It rattles loudly when the 3 way valve goes to anything over 50% call for heat. You can hear it through all of the other piping it's so loud.

10. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

It's definitely a flow control. I would bet it's rattling because it's stuck internally something in there moves to regulate flow whatever that part is is bound up or worn making it rattle.

11. Snoring Beagle

Snoring Beagle Need Little - Want Less - Love More

Zman likes this.
  12. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Just Delt with one of these on a Florida H.P., wasn't exactly sure what it was or how to test.I am now! Thanks! :thumb:. Had poor flow,locking out on High Pressure.Pulled the cartridge,looked a little beat up,have to replace. And 4 what's its Worth,in my Boiler experience,when ever I had a flow valve that was noisy,it was usually because of low pressure.

13. Snoring Beagle

Snoring Beagle Need Little - Want Less - Love More

I was working at a cop shop when I ran across every baseboard used for perimeter heat had a Griswald type 3/4" auto flow and 2 way valves for control. It was the valves that would groan when closing. Could hear the groaning loudly all thru the area affected.
    Sounds like a toilet bowl float valve whining just before it closed. Usually you can open the supply valve wider to get that to stop on a toilet it will shut with more force the faster the float moves.

Them auto valves get dirty too

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 3:47 PM
  14. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

15. knave

knave Out for a rip

When it gets replaced I would appreciate a dissecting with pics!!