1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

What the.....How did......Well Nobody got hurt at least.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SmallChange, May 24, 2017.

1. SmallChange

SmallChange This Space for Rent

• PITTSBURGH - An explosion badly damaged a work van Wednesday morning in Pittsburgh’s Squirrel Hill neighborhood and sent the man inside to the hospital.

The ARS van exploded and caught fire in the area of Wightman and Woodmont streets, leaving debris scattered on the street. ARS is a heating and air conditioning company.

There were two technicians working in the truck, but only one was knocked off his feet. He is expected to be OK.

"Said he pressed the button to unlock his door and it ignited something in the back, most likely propane and it blew him back into the hillside," tow truck driver Jeremy Runion said. He was one of the first on scene and spoke to the victim.
      Channel 11’s Renee Kaminski reported that two other cars were damaged when the explosion happened. The damage included shattered windows and significant dents. A house was also affected.

Witnesses told Channel 11 the technician, who we learned has only been on the job six months, survived because he was standing on the other side of the van when it exploded.

The incident is considered accidental, arson investigators believe a gas tank was leaking in the truck and sparked the explosion, according to Pittsburgh police. The owner of the company told Channel 11 it could have been fumes from other equipment, including propane. He also said this was a first in his company's 50 years in business; the van had only been in use for about a year. No one else was hurt.

View image on Twitter
      [​IMG]

2. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

Damn propane

3. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

leaking acetylene tank I bet.

4. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

your probably right and with a KUV style body they are probably closed off in the cab and didn't smell it

5. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

article says they were working in the truck, then pressed the button to unlock the van. .....my guess is they were walking up to the van and hit the unlock deal on the fob. truck was full of gas and it ignited.

from link....it blew him back into the hillside and
    because he was standing on the other side of the van when it exploded.

6. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

I would bet money acetylene. I can't imagine having that much propane in the truck. Maybe for a cutting/burning outfit but usually that's oxy acetylene.

lrussell likes this.
  7. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

Sad deal. Bet there is a safety meeting soon

8. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

It was staged by the techs.They didn't like that Goofy Logo on the side of the truck!

Catpower and R2D2-TX like this.
  9. Joeysmith

Joeysmith New Member

Possibly a fuel system problem. Gas fumes collecting in the body.

10. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of explosions as more propane systems rollout.

11. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding New Member

Small talk with some of the firemen at a station I take care of, these guys were shocked to hear what we carry on our trucks. I wish we knew the confirmed cause other than we think it was gas fumes.

12. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Anyone know of any States of Counties,that require Service Vans to carry a manifesto listing all the Hazards on their trucks? Supposedly was a thing around here 10 years ago,but fizzled out.

13. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

X2

14. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

I thought we fell under dot 39 regulations that let us carry consumer quantity of flammable and pressurized chemicals us being the consumer of small cans of glue, primer, armaflex glue, wd40, refrigerant etc. NOT cases of the stuff like as in a shipment to a store of supply house.

15. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

I thought it was going to be for the explosive gases,so if you got into an accident,rescue personal would know what they were up against.But it never did catch on.Next step would of been Plack Cards.

16. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

we are supposed to have one here - I have a sort of list drivers door pocket - I also have a whmis binder we fall under the limited quantity rule

unless we are carrying a large number of refrigerant jugs
    stupid thing is Im supposed to fill out the ship from/to portion every time I move FFS - no one does that who has time and the dangerous goods training course we get them fkn useless instructors cant even be bothered to show me how to make a form up correctly aka give me an example that I can use as a template for the shit I actually carry

Zman likes this.
  17. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Fuel+air+ignition= BOOM

That is the confirmed cause:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

oroy54, Jay 41, Zman and 1 other person like this.
  18. rumppie

rumppie Noob

This is why I use multiple plastic milk crates in my truck to keep everything in place and then bungie them to the walls.

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  19. Anita sannich

Anita sannich sugar and spice and all that sh#t

This is something I always have in the back of my mind, there's a half dozen potential bombs in my work van at all times. I never keep regulators on acetylene tanks when they're not in use. Its a pain in the ass, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  20. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Best Don't let I.S.E.S. find out about this...:eek: