1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Whining and crying...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ryan_the_furnace_guy, Nov 14, 2007.

1. ryan_the_furnace_guy

ryan_the_furnace_guy New Member

You know what makes me laugh? All of this whining and crying over the issue of side work.

Now we have got these employers sobbing inconsolably about their treacherous employees milking the clock for all they can and then having the nerve to sneak out under the cloak of darkness to pilfer even more money to feed their damned kids with...LOL

Going on and on about how if these technicians don't like it, they should find a different job. I guess the other side of the spectrum would be that if the "employers" don't like it they shouldn't have started a business in a trade where:
    a - they make money exclusively off of the backs/knowledge of highly skilled tradespeople
    b - they drive down wages and working conditions for fifteen years straight
    c - sidework is easy to do, like someone recently said, "It's not rocket science, it resi split systems......"

(I wouldn't usually be so ... forthright ... with my opinions, but seeing grown men whine and cry and filibuster gets my goat)

The employers who forget that they don't sell furnaces, they sell skilled tradespeople...are doomed for mediocrity.

2. Maineiac

Maineiac Maineiac

The problem is the unquailfied doing service work. The shade tree hack keeps driving wages down with the lack of any over head ie insurance, licenses and their own truck or van. IMHO.

3. Magilla Gorilla

Magilla Gorilla I Be Bant

..............!

4. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

This is making assumptions that all side work is done this way.

it is not - how come the guy that works his daily hours for the owner as a "valued" tech is now considered a side work hack when he is putting a furnace/a/c in on the side.

What is the difference?

5. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

I'd do side work just so it would anoy some of you out there - your attitudes anoy me in here

6. Magilla Gorilla

Go ahead...post some pics too. :eplus2:

7. (((XM)))

(((XM))) I Be Bant

Who's crying and did a business owner create this thread? The consensus among employees is that subconsciously they won't express that they didn't make the medical school cut and settled for the GED and don't have enough education to earn the kind of pay they think they should get but consciously think they invented airconditioning and are holding the moon in orbit.

You probably should get the clue that a overwhelming majority of HVAC business owners are skilled trades people that decided to eisk it all and start a business, that starved for years and was the tech and owner. Many states that license these people require them to be responsible for the work of their subordinate workers. Workers that work for me and forget that are just plain doomed. You also should get a clue that the business owner with 1 or 15 or more Techs on his payroll is constantly worrying about his reputation riding on their conduct. And guess what...some of them **** up, they over sold their skills, they steal, they **** off, they do drugs, they abandon your truck at they seven eleven empty.

8. (((XM)))

(((XM))) I Be Bant

Side work with out a license and insurance and advertising it in a place where license and insurance is required is like calling a illegal alien and undocumented resident.

9. Snoring Beagle

Snoring Beagle Need Little - Want Less - Love More

From a business owners point of view the problem with side jobs is;
    There is a market for it.

For the moonlighter the good thing about side jobs is;
    There is a market for it.

Let's get it right
    It's a fact of life.

10. Fat Eddy

Fat Eddy Later

Yeah its going to happen because people are always looking for adiscount or just a chance to deal with someone they know and trust. But if a guy starts a legit biz and still holds down his regular job then is it really just sidework or is it just a guy with a job and a business. For me its a no brainer, I have three kids and I need the bennies that I get from my union job but does that mean I can't start up a business and make extra money if I do it legally ?

11. (((XM)))

(((XM))) I Be Bant

There is a market for bank robbers also.

Which makes a market for jailers and lawyers.

12. Magilla Gorilla

Don't you lose all those bennies once the union finds out you're doing work on the side? I'm almost positive you do, a friend of mine that's in the union told me the pension goes down the toilet...:idunno:

13. (((XM)))

(((XM))) I Be Bant

Excellent question. I worked for the UA when I was 18 and as I recall they did not take kindly to that

14. Chilled Man

Chilled Man New Job ....... 2010

only if you do it in work there after, what eddy does and the union does around there is not intrested in the Resi Side of buisness

15. Magilla Gorilla

Yeah, I think Fat Eddy is a ****ed Eddy...legal Biz or not. He'd have to quit his Union job in order to start up a business reguardless. I'm pretty sure that would fall into the category of "conflict of interests" with his employer. He may have to re-read that agreement he signed back in the day...

16. Green Mountain

Green Mountain Living legend in the HVAC/R industry

As a mechanical contractor, everyday I have to but on my gloves, my cup and occassionally my trunks and get into the ring to defend my company.

I fight the government, the customers, the suppliers and unlicensed hackers. I do this to not only to protect my living but to protect the living of my employees.

If you want to fight me that is fine. But at least be a man about it and get in the ring with me. Don't be a moonlighting scumbag and hit me in the back of the head with a 2 X 4 (which probably belongs to the company)

Whine this!!!!!!!!

17. Chilled Man

Chilled Man New Job ....... 2010

:lol: :thumb:

18. Magilla Gorilla

You're one funny old dude...:lol:

19. Roscoe

Roscoe Numbah..#1

Oh boy, this has been argued to death, with no resolve.

I think it would be best to agree to disagree here.

20. Fat Eddy

Fat Eddy Later

uh no, there are no hard fast rules, like I said there is always a workaorund, Technically my wife will own the biz, I wil just hang my license on it, that is the common workaround, besides that I may have her sign on to the union anyway if it takes off. There is no fear of getting kicked out, you guys don't really know how this union stuff works so I'm not going to argue it, but trust me there is no problem.