1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Who did this S....

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Rather B Riding, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

Tell me who does this kind of work and why? IMG_20170615_094338810.jpg IMG_20170615_094302756.jpg

2. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

3. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

That shit makes my work look good :D

Texas-Tech and Rather B Riding like this.
  4. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

I did that once. It was just temporary though.

5. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

When I see wires running willy-nilly where they aren't intended to, it's usually the "EMS New Setup" crew has been there.

6. 22blood

22blood red wire nuts only

Usually when a new customer comes into a strip mall. They can't find the thermostat wire after the sheetrock guys were in there , so some knuckle head runs a tstat real quick

Bustawrench likes this.
  7. Sdeery

Sdeery Machinist in training

Sorry, it was my first day.

sdeery

Rather B Riding likes this.
  8. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

:bs:

9. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

It was me. I told them to teplace the pos and gave them a bid. Thats just temp until we get the go ahead

10. rumppie

rumppie Noob

My favorite is when people run their tv wire up to the antennas connected through the system so taking pannels off gets to be an experiment, then they yell at you cause their tv is fuzzy while I'm working up there. :mad:. How about we not spiderweb 8 wires through the freaking supply or return or both.

11. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

So, about a year ago there was a local contractor who decided he wanted to get out of the business after nearly thirty years. He came to work for me. Strong industrial refrigeration background, good with controls. His company had a very good reputation, and several of his customers followed him to work for me. I quickly found out why he got out of the business. He didn't know how to price his services correctly, and he is a pig. His sites all think cost plus 5% is the norm, and that chiller plants are meant to be pig sties. I have worked on changing that reputation, by sending other guys in where possible, to perform a higher level of service work at a more respectable price.

In short, guys do shietty work for a variety of reasons, such as "being cheap is all the customer wants", they simply haven't been trained to do better, or are under pressure from their owners to save money and don't have the balls to stand up to them to do it right. unless you run into them, its difficult to know why.

12. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

Have seen a few satelite cables run up through units at wally. Horrible decision come time to change out units.

rumppie likes this.
  13. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Ya need to send them down here so I can teach them the value of good big blue wire nuts:thumb::lachen::lachen:

14. jays 65

jays 65 New Member

i got 1 temporary stat ive used on like 12 jobs charged em for it everytime its the worlds most expensive stat lol

15. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

Profit is not a dirty word, contrary to what some of our peers think. A business needs to be profitable in order to be healthy, pay well and provide the tools needed for success. Anything less than that creates shoddy work in some form. My clients hate our prices, but love the end results.

16. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

Well said

17. R2D2-TX

R2D2-TX New Member

X2

18. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

Well said

19. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

I worked for a residential company that blossomed through the 2000's while charging 2.5 to 3 times what our competition did. In fact, our biggest competitor, same brand affiliation, went out of business and came to work for us. He charged $85 an hour in 2007. We charged $315. Flat rate, of course.

20. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

All through my years of doing HVAC and even in the maintenance days, I wanted my work to look nice and neat. I've just always thought years for now someone would see it and say this guy really cared about what he's doing. Pride in doing a good job. I do say it's good enough more now than when I was younger but never anything like this.