1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Who's the dumb ass

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Texas-Tech, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

Wouldn't have been quite so bad except they ordered the motor that was in the unit, not the original motor. This one was a tefc motor instead of the regular one which is not as big, size wise.

2. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

I think that's the same unit that i dropped the motor on, my first day in commercial hvac. Trashed the evaporator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  3. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

We had one of those, the blower bearings broke and the double blower was destroyed.

That looked ugly.

It was a long drive away, so we had a local subcontractor fix it, lol

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  4. Texas-Tech

probably was, there is not much room for such a heavy motor

5. Texas-Tech

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These beauties are on the same hotel. Cooler was running at -19 degree evap with 88° superheat, 0 sc

Chuck, LemonWizard, mike1020 and 2 others like this.
  6. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Wait, what? Uhhhh.... What's the AHU in the freezer look like? Does it have gas heat or electric?

Anita sannich and LemonWizard like this.
  7. QuickRick

QuickRick Proud to be a Deplorable

My neighbor has a few year old Carrier rooftop at his store whose belt always left rubber shavings all about the blower compartment.
    The manufacturer put a 4L380 belt on it and it was so tight you could play a tune off of it. Of course there was almost no adjustment possible for the same reasons as your motor. Luckily a 4L390 fit but afraid I brought several belts (because I hate going on a slippery, slimy moss grown roof more than 10 times per trip).
    I guess in a few years the too tight belt would have ruined the blower bearings but then that would no longer be Carrier's problem by then.
    My hat is off to you!

QR
    p.s. I really like the disconnect mount on the cooler unit

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  8. Texas-Tech

It's a walk in freezer, Heatcraft , same with the cooler

mike1020 likes this.
  9. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Yeah i get that but it looks like a residential condensing unit. I was joking.. .

You're telling me thats an actual freezer condensing unit? Defrost clock and all?

10. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

No it's a res unit for sure

11. mike1020

You need a 3 ton 10 seer resi unit, or a 4 ton 13 seer unit to do a 12,000 BTU low temp evap coil

12. Waggs

Waggs BTCM

I had an intermittent short on one of those rigs one time. I couldnt find it for nothing, so while it was running I started pulling on wires. I found the short when it blew a pea sized hole through the top of the unit. The blower motor wires passed through a tight chase pressed against the top of the unit and it chaffed the wires. Kinda hacky I know, but I found it the fastest way. Siliconed the top of the unit and cut out bad section of wire then moved on like a champ.

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  13. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

These units are notorious for wires rubbing through.

14. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

IMG_20170610_011320.jpg When Moe the Service Tech meets Larry the Engineer and Curly the Installer...

Catpower and R2D2-TX like this.
  15. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Wow I've never seen anything like that. Yuck so they just cycle the fan for low ambient? Or is there no low ambient there?

16. chesty puller

chesty puller New Member

Been there, done a few.. smashed the header too

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

17. mike1020

Yes, they just have fan cycling.

18. Texas-Tech

I know there is a defrost timer on the freezer but on the cooler there is nothing, not even a timed off defrost. The cooler unit is teed off to 2 evaps in the cooler.

When I saw them on Thursday they were totally froze up, the maint guy was using a hammer to remove the ice from the bottom. The water dripping off onto the shelves of food sitting directly underneath both coils.

19. mike1020

Yep. Hotels are their own world. Worse than restaurants most the time.

20. Texas-Tech

I see shit tons of work there but I don't think they want to pay for what really needs to be done. Time will tell

mike1020 likes this.