1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Windshield time.

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Rather B Riding, May 5, 2017.

1. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

Its been raining since yesterday morning. You have to like windshield time. I was headed home early for lack if inside work and dispatch calls and ask if I can run a call at a high school about an hour north of the city. Sure send me the ticket. Hot water pump leaking. OK I saw this little domestic hot water recirculation pump leaking. Told the maintenance guy I could replace it. Drove all the way back picked up the pump yesterday. Back at the school to install it today. 1/2 hour repair, lots of windshield time. I love commercial service

. IMG_20170504_115207555.jpg IMG_20170505_081726094.jpg

2. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

Was there an isolation valve on the outlet side of the circulator as well?

3. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

fortunately, commercial customers understand the variety of equipment serviced and the improbability of anyone having the part needed on their truck unless a specialty contractor such as pneumatics. Windshield time just comes with the territory, and much like the military, marching or fighting pays the same. That said, it does get old if doing a lot of it. We had a client three hours one way, no joke. I tried to get them to let me help them find a local guy, but they wanted my guys and paid dearly for it. Crazy. Ultimately they got bought after a few years and that ended.

4. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Man if you want windshield time be a Kohler warranty service rep, all I worked on for them was hot tubs, whirlpools, and environmental enclosures ( A $50,000 fiberglass enclosure over a bath tub that pisses on you blows you dry then sunburns you ) I did southern Ok and and northern Texas (According to Kohler Houston is in northern Texas) They wouldn't let me stock any parts, not even a 50 cent air switch.

So I would go diagnose the problem order the parts and return to repair, a lot of times the calls were 4-6 hours away one way, I always had a 12 pack of beer iced down for those:thumb: (Shit I always had a 12 pack iced down)

But I did finally figure out why when the whirlpool broke down the hubby was always "no problem we can wait a couple weeks, while the wife was GET THAT ****ER FIXED

I never put two and two together until I jetted a Corian tub for our new house we were building then. When Ila got in it the first time and one of the jets hit the right spot, the smile on her face explained it all:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

But at that point in time I was driving 104 miles one way so a lot of times it was a 3+ hour commute

Zman and Rather B Riding like this.
  5. Rather B Riding

Yes and all ball valves. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

doc havoc likes this.
  6. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

I worked for a company once.

The entire right hand was my service area:

[​IMG]

Oh yes, lots of windshield time.

Munson and Zman like this.
  7. Rather B Riding

I've done my fair share of windshield time and sometimes its a pain in the ass but rainy days and I'm getting paid to drive, I'll take it. My favorite drive time story is from my last service manager. He drove 2 1/2 hours to a residential geothermal unit for a second opinion. Local company told them the coax coil went bad and water leaked into the refrigerant circuit and they should just replace the whole unit. So after a 2 1/2 hour drive he took out a pocket screwdriver, pushed in on the high side Schrader port, and water shot out. Yep they're right you want us to quote a new unit?

jrbenny, Catpower and Daryl_Dixon like this.
  8. jrbenny

jrbenny Yuge member

That's one thing I enjoy about my job. Plenty of windshield time from Louisville to Cleveland.

Rather B Riding likes this.
  9. Rather B Riding

Just wave when you go thru CBus.

10. jrbenny

jrbenny Yuge member

We're opening two locations there. I'll be spending quite a bit of time there in the coming months.

11. Rather B Riding

Benny's pizza in Marysville or Grandad's Pizza in Grandview (CBus). Best pizza in central Oh. Athens to Mansfield. Central division has the whole middle of the state.

12. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

I love the windshield time. We had a gig putting 3 ton bard units on Telecom huts. It was sweet most of em were 3-4 hours away. We could have it hung and trimmed out in about 2-3 hours if a fiberglass hut and 3.5 os so for a metal hut. Usually wound up helping the electrician finish his work while my partner started the unit up. That was a sweet project I was sad when it ended. I saw alot of the southwest PA countryside on the phone company nickels lol.

13. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

My windshield time has greatly been reduced since I switched employers. Spending everyother week running across Tx and La I'm over it.
    Was putting 40-50,000 miles every year just traveling

14. coldsnap

coldsnap -20 on the money

I love doing cell tower service.

15. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

It sucks they only call at 2 am and there all out in BFE

Catpower and mike1020 like this.
  16. coldsnap

Their techie guy will go out first, and reset the breakers, check stats and such. He even knows how to block the economizer open to bring cool air in, and will wait till morning to call, unless its really hot out or something. The systems are fairly simple to work on, you get nice windshield time, and no one is there looking over your shoulder.

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  17. coldsnap

We also do a yearly pm on all of this customer's sites, so I bring a box of contactors and fan cycles, and a few full co2 tanks to blow out condensers. This takes care of 80% of cell tower problems.

jrbenny and Texas-Tech like this.
  18. Chuck

Chuck SSP

and no water to wash out the plugged condenser...

crackertech, jrbenny and Texas-Tech like this.
  19. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

We haven't had to service too many of the bunch yet but have kicked around a barrel with submersible pump to slide in back of the van. The thinking was it would be better than the nothing that is on site

20. Joey791

Joey791 New Member

So how far into La you running?