1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Winter Survival Tips...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Zman, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Don't know about Global Warming,but Climate Change for sure! Don't remember it being this cold,this early,for this long.Don't know how Canadians can work outdoors this time of year. Looked at a thermometer today to check the temperature and apparently there was none,it read 0°F!!! Thinking of buying one of those Milwaukee Heated Jackets,or Some electric Hunting Sox. Can't find a pair of gloves that are warm and you can work with. Had to do a Rooftop Heat X today,and regret not dating and marrying that semi cute gal from high school who turned out to be a multi millionaire business owner! Any good winter/work clothing Survival Tips? Or...just move South?

Catpower likes this.
  2. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Carhartt coveralls and just like when it's too hot outside, take breaks when needed.
    Warm socks.
    I can't wear the long johns because I might be on a rooftop on one call then a fireroom on the next.

Bustawrench and oroy54 like this.
  3. refrigerationtech

refrigerationtech Nut Case!

I'm on call and I dieing right now, shit freezing everything. supposed to hit -30 with wind chill. I get off today and told office off Friday. its supposed to get much worse next week too

4. coldsnap

coldsnap -20 on the money

I wear layers. Long underwear, then sweatshirt, then carhartt insulated bibs and coat. I have a face mask, and tons of gloves ranging from thin, to lined, to heavily insulated, depending on how cold it is, and what tasks i am doing. I wear my winter boots and wool socks, but keep my steel toes in the truck if I have to go to the mill.

I would say 85% of my calls the last two weeks have been rtus or makeup airs on roofs. I have done a few furnaces indoors, and 1 ice machine and 1 walk in. Since I know I'll basically be outside all day, it doesn't bother me to wear layers.

Also, don't forget to stay hydrated. Its easy to not want to drink water when its this cold. And, don't be afraid to warm up if needed. One important piece of advice working outside: Don't warm your hands up with heater exhaust. It is warm, but also wet. If there is an exhaust fan, use that to warm up.

LemonWizard, Zman and Chuck like this.
  5. coldsnap

coldsnap -20 on the money

I forgot to mention; I have a 5 gallon pail with a bucket boss thing on it. I keep my manometer, draft gauge, combustion analyzer, 18 volt tool batteries, pvc glue/cement, pipe dope and caulk in it. Whenever it is below freezing, it stays in the passenger seat during the day, and I bring it inside at night.

otto and crackertech like this.
  6. Jon

Jon Team Canada

Winter tips - stay inside and work on reefers . It's warmer in most freezers then it is outside for some folks :D

7. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

Booze drink plenty of booze and stay inside until spring :D

8. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

Best advice yet!

crackertech likes this.
  9. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Except when you have to rebuild the split condenser valve

10. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Sick Days / Weeks / Months!

11. Chuck

Chuck SSP

I like the way you think

12. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

That's the second worse problem, keeping electronics and chemicals from freezing! The third worse problem is forgetting to put them back in your truck the next day! :confused:

oroy54 and coldsnap like this.
  13. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

its all about the prep. layers of good winter gear help. keeping the extremities warm is the most important thing. Hat is a must for cold roof or refineries. gloves for walking to and from the work site. keep one glove on if possible. alos a coat with large exterior pockets and those hand warming things skiers use on really cold days. Activate them when going on the roof. when your hand gets cold, stick it right on the warmer for quick heat. good work shoes with thinsulate if possible, if not oversize and two pairs of socks or one really thick pair. it sucks, but its the job. I am usually good down to about minus fifteen F unles its REALLY windy. Skiing on weekends for years helps me acclimate better than most.

Zman likes this.
  14. chucko615

chucko615 Banned camp counselor

I got a Milwaukee heated hoodie about 2 months ago. I wear it under my Bosch heated jacket and I also have thermacell heated insoles and hand warmers. But I got most of this stuff cause I don't like to be cold when I hunt.

15. Snoring Beagle

Snoring Beagle Need Little - Want Less - Love More

Double up on the hoodies, with a nylon jacket over them, baseball cap with a knit cap over that to pull down over ears and pull up the hoods when needed. Thermal long johns under work pants with arctic carhartt bibs and insulated NEO over shoes over my brooks walking shoes. Insulated fingerless gloves with another set of gloves over them. I would like to use a face scarf but my glasses keep fogging up. Of course every thing is color coordinated....Black.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Zman, Y7turbo and pecmsg like this.
  16. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Pop Pop......

I gotta PEE,

Zman likes this.
  17. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

and don't eat yellow snow

Zman likes this.
  18. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

That's for sure a problem with layers of clothing! Add in a little shrinkage from the brisk wind, and you likely won't have the length necessary to clear the multiple layers!
    :damnit:

Zman likes this.
  19. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

Hell man, I can't clear a pair of long johns with jeans when it's cold, you know 35 or 40°:D

Zman and doc havoc like this.
  20. Joeysmith

Joeysmith New Member

Chilly Grip A315.jpg I have been pretty impressed with these for warmth and dexterity

Zman, Bustawrench and Ballvalve79 like this.