1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

yep, still not a fieldpiece fan....multimeters anyway

Discussion in 'Tools and Test Equip' started by jamesyarbrough, Jun 8, 2016.

1. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

Well I wanted a small amp clamp. Something to carry for basic stuff instead of my fluke 323/116 kit.

I got a fieldpiece sc260 for its compact size and price. I have had it for a few weeks now and i can give an honest run down.

For $100 its a good little meter. Love the back lit display and magnetic back. Hasnt failed me yet and reads about the same as my flukes.

Hate the selector. It sux that ohms, capacitor, and about 5 other things are all under one selection and you have to push a button five times to get it on mfd. The leads are nothing to write home about but they do the job as expected. What i dislike most of all.....and this has been with most fieldpiece meters i have seen, is the slow reaction time. When testing caps, voltage, ohms or current you have to stay hooked up for at least 30 seconds to get an accurate reading. My flukes are almost instantaneous.

It doesnt have many features, but thats not what i was looking for. I just wanted something for PMs that would check amps, voltage, mfd,and temp if needed. Temp was right on the money out if the box btw.

Not a bad little meter, but different and takes time getting used to. A couple of guys have older small fieldpiece meters that i guess this one replaced. I actually like them better. They are thinner and have more selections on the dial..... instead of pushing a button 5 times.. they are still slow reacting tho and no magnet on the back.

Anyway. If i had it to do over, i would have spent the extra $50 and got a fluke 324. But this little guy aint all that bad for small stuff.

2. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Fieldpiece has excellent customer service.

3. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

James, I use that meter.

All my Flukes are on the shelf.

That Fieldpiece has everything you need for basic service.

The selector does take some getting used to, but it's not bad after that.

The magnet is great.

I'm not a Fluke fan. --- too bulky without purpose, always missing essential functions.

If a company doesn't know that an HVAC tech needs microfarads, M-ohms, and capacitance all in ONE meter, then I feel disrespected.

(My little Fieldpiece has tested accurate for M-Ohms when compared to a dedicated megger.)

Why Fluke only gives us 1000 Ohms on their meters? What is that all about?

4. lytning

lytning I'm not old, I just woke up this way

Never had a problem with my FP except for the DL2. But my UEI has the push the button thing too. Takes getting used to that all. FP is probably best bang for the buck.

5. Chuck

Chuck SSP

FP sc56 is the best hvac meter ever imo. Too bad they had to stop making it, fluke has nothing with the same features.

6. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

I was at United and they had a fp meter that was about 16" long, fp600 something?

It wouldn't fit in my tool bag.

7. Bustawrench

Bustawrench Knucklehead

I've never had any luck with FP. I seem to kill them quickly.

Flukes on the other hand, last for decades in my hands.

8. Chuck

Chuck SSP

SC640 and yes it's way too big

mike1020 likes this.
  9. jamesyarbrough

My helper has that one. The cheese factor is high with it.

mike1020 likes this.
  10. Sdeery

Sdeery Machinist in training

"Top-of-the-Line Meter Has it All
    • Swivel-head with LED jaw flashlight
    • Selector dial backlight
    • Large backlit display
    • Magnetic strap
    • Lead storage"
    sdeery

11. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

That is the meter I use, it does it all

Chuck likes this.
  12. knave

knave Undeterred

Everything except fit in hand or toolbag? Lol
    I like it too but my 56 keeps working and working. Not sure what for next meter maybe the next model down without the swivel.

13. jamesyarbrough

Yep it has one heck of a strap. Never know when you will need a swivel head or a flashlight.

So far the sc 260 has completed every call this summer.

14. jamesyarbrough

For some reason it reminds me of a giant dildo when in the case.
    :lachen::lachen::lachen:

15. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

Never been inclined to try out FP. I just stick with my UEI

16. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

I have a Tech-LC, everything I need is in there. The 640 is a great meter, had the 77 before that, the 56, and an old time meter not auto rangeing. Been using fp since the mid 90s

knave likes this.
  17. Mike1965

Mike1965 New Member

Multi meters. I have very little to complain about. Digital gauges are another story. I have all but retired my sman2, sman3 and my sman360. Tired of paying for repairs every year. Micron gauge fails. High side valve seal fails. And a hook that catches on everything. Especially when climbing ladders. 360 Hung on scuttle hole hatch. Pulled large chunk of plastic out with hook. Tired of messing with them.