1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

YJ Brute II, Titan, or plain ole Series 41?

Discussion in 'Tools and Test Equip' started by Raymond Moreno Jr, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Raymond Moreno Jr

Raymond Moreno Jr New Member

Looking at purchasing a new gauge.

Don't wanna go digital...yet.

The 4-valve gauges seem pretty sweet.

Like the title reads, I'm up in the air between the Brute II and the Titan.

I was wondering if there was REALLY a noticeable recovery/charge time between the Brute II and the Titan?

And also, in regards to the 4-valve gauges, are they really THAT helpful? Are they worth the extra bulk?

I am predominantly doing residential installs, and would only need the gauges for R22 and R410a.

In the end, if all my research goes south (more cons than pro's for these 4-valve gauges), I may just go with the tried and proven 41 Series gauges.

Your thoughts.

2. knave

knave Undeterred

Don't get the brute, four valve is handy for vacuuming new installs etc,

Can't go wrong with the 41 either.

3. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

If your smart you'll stay simple, use your money for some really good hoses.

R2D2-TX and crackertech like this.
  4. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

X2

5. Raymond Moreno Jr

So I hear the Brute may be overkill, huh?

But I also hear the 4-valves are good for vacuuming...which I will be doing with installs. (Evacuating and removing the old systems, and installing and leak testing/charging the new systems).

So maybe a good middle ground - the Titan 4-valve?

And since y'all mentioned hoses:

YJ Plus 2 wo/compact ball valves

...or...

YJ Plus 2 WITH the compact ball valves.

And while we're touching on hoses, what do y'all think about the attachment you place in between the manifold and hose (liquid charge adaptor?) to help charge the low pressure side faster?

Thanks for the feedback!!!

6. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

4 valve manifolds suck. get 2- 3/8 hoses with 3/8 and 1/4 connectors for $40 each from amazon, a 3/8 flare tee and some core tools. then you can pull a u it down to 200 microns in minutes rather than hours.

as far as a manifold, it you have a good set of yellow jackets get a testo 550. with all the different blends ojt there today it will make things much easier.

Raymond Moreno Jr likes this.
  7. Texas-Tech

Get yourself a vacuum setup that doesn't pull through your manifold, the more connections the more leakage you will have.

Zman and Raymond Moreno Jr like this.
  8. Raymond Moreno Jr

Why do folks not like the 4-valve manifolds?

You would think they are super convenient. Especially with a wide open 3/8" manifold chamber and matching hose.

Or do more moving parts mean more possibility for failure? (Have the YJ Titans or Brute II's failed THAT much)?

Now I'm curious to hear the other side. Some folks swear by the 4-valves, but some do not.

9. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

ive had imperial eastmans 4 valve mani for 30 yrs I like them my self besides im not in a rush - putting the vac pump on = coffee or lunch break you all need to relax a bit

10. crackertech

I like my 4 way there great for charging racks

knave likes this.
  11. coldsnap

coldsnap -20 on the money

I have 4 analog 2 valve manifolds, 1 analog brute 2, and have my digicools on titans.
    I think the guts of the titan and brute are the same, but the size of the gauges, and the spacing of the manifold is different.
    For small under counter stuff, the 2 valve manifolds are fine. I have one set up with 24 inch hoses for critical charge stuff. Walk ins and ac units usually get the digital ones.
    I would have at least 2 sets of gauges, even if you are resi. Not only if one breaks, but you may have a 2 stage RTU, or have to run another call while recovering/pulling a vac, etc.

knave, Zman and Raymond Moreno Jr like this.
  12. Jon

Jon Team Canada

I like 4ways with 3 chicks :D

Zman likes this.
  13. Jon

Jon Team Canada

X2

14. Raymond Moreno Jr

"Charging racks"?

What does that mean?

And what about hoses?

Like I mentioned above...I was looking at the YJ "Plus II" with compact ball valves. Or should I not get the compact ball valves. (Do they eventually start leaking and need maintenance more often)?

And in regards to what JAMES YARBOROUGH said. He mentioned getting a 3/8" inch "flare T" and "core tools".

Can someone explain that to me, please. Or post a picture of how this is attached and used. I cannot picture it in my minds-eye.

And what are "core" tools? Does he mean basic tools?

15. Texas-Tech

Valve core removal tool, no loss of freon.

16. crackertech

Some of here are market techs R tards lol

Chuck likes this.
  17. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

We Have Become a Low Loss Freon Nation!

18. MOFO the psychic gorilla

MOFO the psychic gorilla sitting on two achers

On the yellow jacket manifolds (not the 41) they have a fine stainless mesh just the other side of the hose connections that really slows down evacuated.

19. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

i dont think he knows what we are talking about when we speak about the big hoses. anyone got a link to the bill spoon video?

20. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

This is a Rack! IMG_20170723_231753.jpg