1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

YJ Brute II, Titan, or plain ole Series 41?

Discussion in 'Tools and Test Equip' started by Raymond Moreno Jr, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Raymond Moreno Jr

Raymond Moreno Jr New Member

Knave...both.

I am new to the trade.

I worked for about 2.5 weeks with my new company (installed about 6 entire systems with my team, and also did a bunch of duct installs/repairs), and then went to school. (Paid for by my company).

Just graduated school, got my EPA Universal, studying for the NATE cert, and am going back into the field to work again. (But formally trained this time).

Just a bit lost on some of the lingo y'all use. ;)

Texas-Tech likes this.
  2. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

Hang in there bud, it just takes time. Everyone advances at their own speed. The internet is a huge benefit

knave likes this.
  3. Raymond Moreno Jr

I have the HVACR system down-pat.

Just looking for the best equipment to purchase that meets my needs. (Residential installs).

I like to read the tips and tricks HVAC folks use.

I also like to read about the equipment folks use, and WHY they chose that piece of equipment. Sometimes it makes sense, and I learn something new. And sometimes even this newbie can tell they chose incorrectly, as their initial reasoning was flawed from the git-go. Ha ha ha.

I love to think. And I am a total "tool guy". (Tim Allen has nothing on me). :)

Just hanging around and asking equipment questions.

Your suggestions - and experience - are helping me to make my decisions and choose my equipment.

Thanks.

4. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

IMG_0443.PNG I use to work on these little compressors at my last job

Raymond Moreno Jr likes this.
  5. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

220513133945.jpg

Shrader cores removed, pulling a vacuum through the core removers with the hoses hooked directly to the vacuum pump.

6. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

7. Raymond Moreno Jr

That is awesome, Mike.

I can see what you were talking about now.

A picture is worth a million words.

Kudos, brother!!!

mike1020 likes this.
  8. MOFO the psychic gorilla

MOFO the psychic gorilla sitting on two achers

If you use the same size and type hoses there is zero noticable difference with evac speed between a 41 and a titian. They share the same internal valves.

No manifold and big hoses direct to the pump is the best way.

9. Raymond Moreno Jr

Interesting.

So the mesh on the Titan and the Brute II do not really slow anything down, huh? (I thought someone mentioned it did).

One more question. How did you get all those extra hoses/fittings attached to the high/low pressure lines?

How did you tap into those lines?

Is there a way to pierce those lines with a tool or something?

10. MOFO the psychic gorilla

Mesh or no it takes a long ass time to pull a vacuum with 1/4" hoses.
    It's longed ass time vs long assed time.

knave likes this.
  11. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

The fastest and best way to get a vacuum is with pipe. Even 1/4 soft copper pulls real well. Direct from pump to system with nothing in between to cause restriction or pressure drop. Never have to worry about failing hoses or bad gaskets. Few do it in A/C except the chiller guys probably. In refer I never used hoses on anything bigger than a small cond unit. Because it is much more critical in systems that are boiling gas below freezing. There are hoses that claim they are vacuum safe. But in reality only pipe is 100% vacuum safe. And even that should be checked for pinholes from time to time.

OK now I am ready for everyone to tell me I am wrong....

crackertech likes this.
  12. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

If you insist. You're wrong.:D
    However, I agree. Pipe IS better than a rubber hose.

frozensolid likes this.
  13. crackertech

I totally agree with you I never used hoses on racks always used 1-3/8 pipe and 3/8 and 1/4" soft copper to everything I could pull from.

frozensolid likes this.
  14. frozensolid

If I remember correctly Hill/Phoenix racks came with a triple point evac port on the rack with ball valves to isolate.

15. crackertech

Yep they are still that way

16. Jon

Jon Team Canada

X2

17. MOFO the psychic gorilla

1/4" copper pulls better than 1/4" hoses mostly because most 1/4" hoses are only 3/16" ID ;)

18. frozensolid

and 1/4 copper is about .19 id unless you are a plumber that is. Just sayin... :)

19. MOFO the psychic gorilla

And Appion 1/4" hoses are a full 1/4" ID
    Would be willing to bet you could pull a lower vacuum faster with a full ¼" ID hose of equal length than ¼" copper but I got nothing to bet.

20. frozensolid

You can suck what ever you want, with whatever you want, when ever you want. I don't care. But if you use all your valves and manifolds and fancy stuff yes the 1/4 will pull down faster. JMHO But I have been wrong before and to tell you the truth it ain't important enough to me to enter a pissing contest.