1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Your opinion yes or no

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rather B Riding, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

I have a guy that calls me for HVAC problems / questions. It's getting annoying. Here's the situation. My wife has a client that quit his job and started doing odd jobs. Then it progressed to home remodeling etc. He's running his own business doing this. I know the guy. I've met him, he's been a client of my wife for about 15-20 years. We'll just call him Joe Blow. Over the past few years I have had him call me with HVAC questions for his own personal system and for some of his client's systems. Recently I got a call on my work cell. "Hey my name is Eric I know Joe Blow, I called your office and they said your company doesn't do any residential but they gave me your #". WTF That's another subject I'll take up with the girls in the office. Anyway I tell this guy a couple possible causes and give him the # of my last company that does do resi. Two days later on my personal phone I have a missed call and a VM from Joe Blow. " Hey I've got a problem with the heat in my cottage and I was hoping you could help me out." That was Friday and I haven't called him back.

So this is where I would like to here some of your opinions. We're all HVAC professionals here. We have spent many years developing the skills and knowledge of the trade. Am I wrong in thinking I Have to cut this guy off and sever ties with him. Or at least get him to a business level. I mean the last company I worked for does some residential and I do have techs that I trust there. I feel like this guy is looking for free info. Probably my fault for helping him out years ago with his own problem.

Just wanted to here some opinions of others in the trade.

2. chucko615

chucko615 Banned camp counselor

How much money will your wife lose if he takes his business somewhere else?

3. chucko615

He can't hurt your business but he will drop her to get back at you

4. Rather B Riding

It wouldn't be a big loss and I don't think he would go somewhere else.

5. chucko615

OK, he's annoying. Helping him out a couple times was fine, but now you have to just recommend a company to him and move on. It's easy to fire a customer and it's even easier to get rid of a deadbeat.

6. chucko615

Or just don't call him back. Ghost him.....................:D

Rather B Riding likes this.
  7. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Give Him very General advice. Do you have Power,is the the stat calling. Fuel supply on. Then say it so hard to diagnose over the phone. Im very busy so,Maybe I could recommend someone.

8. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Just say Hey Joe, this is my trade, I don't whore my trade out, I will tell you how to fix it if you build me a new house:thumb:

9. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

I have a brother-in-law like that. The only time he calls is when they are experiencing some sort of mechanical, plumbing, electrical, data-related, or water conditioning issue.

Damn, I just realized how talented I am.

Anyway, it's always the same thing. Hey, drop everything, and help me out!

10. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

Start giving him incorrect advice. Make it cost him unnecessary money.

11. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

That's pure evil,,,,,,,,,,,,,I like it.:evil:

12. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

When @knave calls me I tell him it’s low on freon.

When it still doesn’t work I tell him he has to add more freon.

And then I yell at him when he can’t find the leak.

13. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

And when he call's me I remind him that I know nothing.:D

doc havoc likes this.
  14. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

wait a long time to return the call. tell him you are working in a facility where phones don't work well, or its pharma and they don't let you bring them in because of the camera. then discuss and tell him you aren't really sure as the newer resi stuff is different than commercial-industrial, where each units contro board does different stuff. be vague. he will realize you don't have time for his needs and look elsewhere

15. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

I do that all the time,but not purposely. Now no one calls me. At least if they know better.

16. Rather B Riding

Family is different. That's my point. This guy is not family and I can't see giving it away.

17. Jon

Jon Team Canada

Next time he calls just say " you wing the Wong numba" in an Asian accent of course :D

18. Rather B Riding

You no fix first time you come back free:banghead:

Catpower and Jon like this.
  19. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Shit we might be related through marriage

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  20. HMD

HMD does it matter?

i didnt/dont do family either/neither/nor